Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone try BRY-97 yet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #201
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyx345 View Post
The krausen on mine just started to go down and I only had 1 day of strong activity. There appears to be a settling down now and the yeast is forming a compact cake at the bottom.

Has anyone experienced only 1 day of strong fermentation activity?

I realize a hydrometer sample is the only way to tell but I want to give it at least a week.
I still have not had occasion to use this yeast, but that sounds interesting. The behavior you're describing (and what some others have posted) is what I usually associate with some British yeasts, WLP002 in particular. Long lag, a quick, highly active ferment, followed by muted hops.

Some of what I am reading makes this sound like a Brit yeast with a low ester profile rather than a US-05 alternative. I have a 10-gal system being built at Morebeer presently. For my inaugural batch, I was going to make a simple, lowly-hopped beer that I keep around for my wife and our friends. I usually use US05 in it because it's clean and reliable. I may split the batch into two 5-gal fermenters and try this yeast side by side with US05.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #202
brun064
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Update: The US-05 still has noticeably more hop aroma and bitterness. The BRY-97 has mellowed a bit. The caramel flavor is a bit more muted. The US-05 is still the winner.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #203
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a pale ale that used bry-97.

Clarity- I think BRY-97 and US-05 are about the same. I brew lots of beers with 6-7 SRM (quite transparent). The BRY-97 took about 2 weeks in the keg to be crystal clear (about the same time as US-05).

Bitterness- my beer is too bitter but I think I have a recipe problem there.

Late hops flavor- maybe a bit less than US-05 but hard to say without side by side comparison.

Esters- I don't taste any but they could be covered by late hops.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #204
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin View Post

I still have not had occasion to use this yeast, but that sounds interesting. The behavior you're describing (and what some others have posted) is what I usually associate with some British yeasts, WLP002 in particular. Long lag, a quick, highly active ferment, followed by muted hops.

Some of what I am reading makes this sound like a Brit yeast with a low ester profile rather than a US-05 alternative. I have a 10-gal system being built at Morebeer presently. For my inaugural batch, I was going to make a simple, lowly-hopped beer that I keep around for my wife and our friends. I usually use US05 in it because it's clean and reliable. I may split the batch into two 5-gal fermenters and try this yeast side by side with US05.
Good point. They say it's like 05 but I keep hearing about it diminishing the hops. I wanted to try this in my citra amarillo pale ale but I feel like I would be wasting the hops.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #205
brian_n
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I plan on using this tomorrow on a Wheat IPA with Centennial, Amarillo, and Simcoe. Mash temp of 150, OG 1.060, and about a pound of specialty grains. I plan to rehydrate about 30 mins before pitching. Will report back with my results.....

Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #206
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

I have a 2 week bottled ipa with this. So far due to maybe my own mistake its seems more of a pale ale. Around a mid 5%beer which I meant to be bigger. Bitterness is good,hop flavor seems somewhat lacking but Im not blaming this yeast, could be my water/water salts I used. Mixed grain bill,2 row,pale,vienna belgian pils,some crystal malts, I used about 17% red wheat also. I would have to say that this beer so far may be better with the yeast added to the botttle from the bottem,maybe. Its pretty good so far but Im kind of maybe thinking not so great for an ipa maybe.Its a good beer so far young,just unshure if I would make a hoppy ipa of it again. I think all the good stuff may settle with the yeast,try adding the yeast to your beer and tell me Im not alone on this one. At this point I also see good potential for this beer with a few more weeks or month or so.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #207
stevecon
Recipes 

Sub

Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #208
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
I have a 2 week bottled ipa with this. So far due to maybe my own mistake its seems more of a pale ale. Around a mid 5%beer which I meant to be bigger. Bitterness is good,hop flavor seems somewhat lacking but Im not blaming this yeast, could be my water/water salts I used. Mixed grain bill,2 row,pale,vienna belgian pils,some crystal malts, I used about 17% red wheat also. I would have to say that this beer so far may be better with the yeast added to the botttle from the bottem,maybe. Its pretty good so far but Im kind of maybe thinking not so great for an ipa maybe.Its a good beer so far young,just unshure if I would make a hoppy ipa of it again. I think all the good stuff may settle with the yeast,try adding the yeast to your beer and tell me Im not alone on this one. At this point I also see good potential for this beer with a few more weeks or month or so.
This yeast makes a fine IPA.. Sounds like the problem was you, not the yeast. What was your hop schedule?

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #209
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
This yeast makes a fine IPA.. Sounds like the problem was you, not the yeast. What was your hop schedule?
Bascially 1 oz each summit and columbus in the boil. 1 oz NZ Pacific Jade dryhopp. Ended up with 28 bottles was shooting for 2.5 gallons,was trying to account for the hop loss water loss but did end up having to top off a little, had about 1.75 oz of hops all in late additons. .2 oz columbus for bittering a 70-75min boil.
Like I said, its probably still to young to decide that yet. And could be how I used my brewing salts. Its really probably not ready,so I should have not have said anything really but 2 weeks bottled is as is.
My mash ph was good but I do wonder would a 5.0 mash have any effect? because those ph strips are pretty vague.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #210
jma99
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like both, but I think BRY-97 drops faster.
This stuff clears faster than a bad wedding!

God's own drunk, and a fearless man.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS