*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone try BRY-97 yet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #161
ncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenais View Post
I have brewed 2 batches with BRY-97 now and have a 3rd in the fermenter. The first 2 I did not rehydrate and they kicked off in around 24 hours, the last batch I rehydrated per directions and it took 48 hours
Interesting that the rehydrated batches kicked off slower - I'd normally expect the opposite. Danstar cautions that the rehydrated yeast must be pitched "without delay" after attemperation because it starts needing something to eat. I wonder if the BRY-97 is more sensitive to any delay, and by rehydrating you end up with fewer viable cells.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #162
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer View Post
Interesting that the rehydrated batches kicked off slower - I'd normally expect the opposite. Danstar cautions that the rehydrated yeast must be pitched "without delay" after attemperation because it starts needing something to eat. I wonder if the BRY-97 is more sensitive to any delay, and by rehydrating you end up with fewer viable cells.
Interesting for sure. I rehydrated mine everytime, as it's suggested by Danstar. I get the lag.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 12-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #163
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm looking for a good clean yeast for my lower grav beers, like my Kentucky Common. As much as I love US-05 as my goto yeast, I'm really tired of that almost peach like flavor that I pick up when I use it for session type beers that don't have any roasty or highly caramally dark malts to cover it up. I can't seem to escape it, even fermenting o5 at the coolest temps I can get it to.

I have 5 gallons of my Kentucky Common that I'm getting no pleasure out of drinking this time, because it's overwhelmingly peachy.

That's why I'm interested in this yeast. My cream ale's going to get cold crashed and go into a keg over the weekend. I may even burst carb it just to have something else to drink over the holidays besides the Kentucky Common.
I used BRY-97 in a pale ale. I rehydrated and I didn't really notice any problem with a long lag time. It fermented in the low 60º's. It turned out well. It did seem to mute the hops a bit, but it's nice and clear, and I guess it has what would call a "clean" yeast taste.
I have been thinking of brewing a batch of your Kentucky Rye, and thought this would be the perfect yeast. I also think it would work well in a Cream Ale.
If I brew it I'll let you know how it turns out.
The pale ale was
5.5 lbs British pale malt
1 lb 6 row
.5 lb wheat malt
6 oz C120
Challenger @ 90 min
Mt. Hood @ 10 min
Mt. Hood dry hop

Old 12-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #164
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlater View Post
I used BRY-97 in a pale ale. I rehydrated and I didn't really notice any problem with a long lag time. It fermented in the low 60º's. It turned out well. It did seem to mute the hops a bit, but it's nice and clear, and I guess it has what would call a "clean" yeast taste.
I have been thinking of brewing a batch of your Kentucky Rye, and thought this would be the perfect yeast. I also think it would work well in a Cream Ale.
If I brew it I'll let you know how it turns out.
The pale ale was
5.5 lbs British pale malt
1 lb 6 row
.5 lb wheat malt
6 oz C120
Challenger @ 90 min
Mt. Hood @ 10 min
Mt. Hood dry hop
Please do my KC and let us know. Ufortunately my last batch of it with 05 is one of the peachy batches, and I'm sitting on half a keg I have trouble getting in the mood to drink. I'm about to throw the cream ale I made with this new yeast into a keg this weekend. Rather than doing set and forget on it for 3 weeks to carb it, I'm thinking of trying to just bust carb it this weekend to have that drinkable over the holidays.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #165
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1199

Just did an IPA (possibly a pale ale-now),using this yeast for the first time, I hydrated and abnormally pitched it after about 15-20 min(which is what the web-site actually recommends-got lucky on that one),as opposed to what I normally do about 30-40 min with the other dry strains. Got it sitting about 66 deg. and probably overpitched 1 pack for 1.05 gravity/2.5 gallon batch. Im prepared with a 1 inch blowoff.

Heres and update: It showed signs of spotty foam at about 12 hrs,then overnight it had almost an inch of froth, not real vigorous but it is sitting at 62 ambient temps,Ill probably end up getting it back up to mid 60's by end of ferment.Low ferment temps seem(to me) to tame krausen-Ive been pretty succesfull with getting more volume and less headspace doing so. Without it blowing off anything.
I ended up having to use the blow off but it wasnt violent although it did get pretty vigorous in the fermenter. Had a thin rich layer of yeast at the bottom of my blowoff jar. Smelled exactly like bannana bread.
I also noticed the hydrated yeast smelled breadier than most other dry yeast,not that it matters.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #166
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Just be sure to have ample head space and you'd be fine. I never got a really really wild krausen from it, but you can watch it churning the fermenter like hell.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #167
larrybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My IIPA is about ready to bottle. Dry hopping now. What I found is a tropical pineapple note from the BRY-97. Was not expecting this. Hopefully it will fade with time.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #168
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I brewed an IPA with it this Saturday night, and pitched (2) packets of this yeast (dry) onto the wort...here's what I've observed so far:

Saturday:

10:30 p.m. - Pitched Yeast

Sunday:

1:30 a.m. - Nada
8:30 a.m. - Bubbles noted in airlock
1:30 p.m. - Temp @60; Brought temp to 76
4:00 p.m. - Light krausen observed; temp @72
10:00 p.m. - Krausen thickening; temp @64

Monday:

5:45 a.m. - Very active fermentation; temp @60-62

I did lose probably 1.5 grams of yeast as the dog bumped me while I was pitching the second packet...damn dog, lol. I have the carboy in a swamp cooler (no air lock, but plenty of head space) , and I am looking forward to seeing the progress when I get home this afternoon.

Below is a picture taken at 10:30 yesterday morning

photo.jpg  

I like beer because it's good, I drink beer because I should...

Old 01-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #169
larrybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Cold crashing, and the Amarillo dry hop really knocked down the pineapple notes I was getting. It is still there, but much more in the background. I'll post in a couple weeks what the beer tastes like.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #170
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I came home to very active fermentation at 4:00 this afternoon, but the krausen hasn't grown much. I'm looking forward to seeing how this yeast plays out

I like beer because it's good, I drink beer because I should...

Quick Reply