Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone try BRY-97 yet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #131
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBailey View Post
Never seen or heard of it. Where did you find it?

I'm ready to try Nottingham again after steering clear of it before they started repackaging. I do like US-05, but without cold crashing it takes a long time to compact. Maybe this new Danstar yeast is the ticket.

Bob
I have been using Nottingham for 10 years and never have had a problem.

I normall do not rehydrate.

I brew mostly in teh Spring or Fall when the Temps are around 70 F and I cast the yeast right on top of my arriated wort at about 80 F and let it cool down.

Usually it is bubbling away after 12 hours.

Example:
  • Cool wort to around 80 F. (Usually in the evening to ambent temp is in the 60s)
  • Wort cools and yeast goes to work.
  • By the time the temp is around 70 F, mid-day, it is going... and a day or so later the significant fermentation is complete.

Temp on top of the fermenter are usually 70-72 F and I do not check the internal temp.

I do 5 and 10 gallon batches this way and have great luck with the yeast.

I also keep a little around in case something has not started the way I expected,,, and cast it at 24 hours if there is no activity...

DPB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #132
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One thought about the hop muting. A lot of people on this thread have reported significant blow off with this yeast. I am wondering if some of the hop oils and other solid hop material is being pushed out with the blow off? It might be worthwhile to try this yeast on the same recipe and 2 different fermenter sizes ... One that is small enough to promote blowoff, and one that was larger and would keep the entire fermentation, krausen and all, inside the vessel.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #133
zip100473
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin View Post
One thought about the hop muting. A lot of people on this thread have reported significant blow off with this yeast. I am wondering if some of the hop oils and other solid hop material is being pushed out with the blow off? It might be worthwhile to try this yeast on the same recipe and 2 different fermenter sizes ... One that is small enough to promote blowoff, and one that was larger and would keep the entire fermentation, krausen and all, inside the vessel.
I actually didn't have any blow out it just krept up the tube. My biggest concern was lag time. This clumpy yeast took its time. Once it was ready... BOOM!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #134
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip100473

I actually didn't have any blow out it just krept up the tube. My biggest concern was lag time. This clumpy yeast took its time. Once it was ready... BOOM!
But did you have hop muting issues as well?

Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #135
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:

Might clumped a bit, but wasn't anything super abnormal. Took a while to get going, but once it did, it chugged and chugged and then took it's time to drop the krausen.

It attenuated really well. A bit lower than US05. It has a very dry clean profile, and I used alot of whole cone hops in my boil.

Honestly, if I found lower hop aroma/flavor, it was me looking for it. I'd say that it was more rounded and softer, but could have been my hop schedule, and hops.

It did floc out tight though.. Which I'm thinking it's pulling some stuff out and down with it. This yeast might be a beast to clean up real well, IMO.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #136
zip100473
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Havent completed ferment...

Old 12-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #137
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I'm giving this a try in my cream ale today. But I can't find it in beersmith2. Is there a yeast pack update somewhere that has this?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #138
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm giving this a try in my cream ale today. But I can't find it in beersmith2. Is there a yeast pack update somewhere that has this?

If there is, I haven't found it.

To be honest, in BS2, I'll just put US05 as the yeast. These are extremely similar, with the BRY97 being IMO, a faster working yeast, that is... once you get it going. It's got atleast 18-24 hour lag time, even with a rehydrate. But once it goes, it goes, and it floccs out really, really well. Very clean yeast, almost no character to it.

I'm using it again in a Belma Galaxy APA. It's kickin' ass right now, after taking close to a day to get going.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #139
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
If there is, I haven't found it.

To be honest, in BS2, I'll just put US05 as the yeast. These are extremely similar, with the BRY97 being IMO, a faster working yeast, that is... once you get it going. It's got atleast 18-24 hour lag time, even with a rehydrate. But once it goes, it goes, and it floccs out really, really well. Very clean yeast, almost no character to it.

I'm using it again in a Belma Galaxy APA. It's kickin' ass right now, after taking close to a day to get going.
Yeah, I just put it down as notty....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #140
BobBailey
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Just add it into Beersmith2.. You can add ingredients and their properties.

Bob

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS