Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone try BRY-97 yet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #121
AquaDementium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Finally broke out my BRY-97 this past weekend. I kept a close eye on takeoff time since everyone was saying that this yeast was a bit slower.

OG was 1.055 and I pitched ~ 70-72 F. Ambient temps in house brought the temp down to 66-68 F, where its been fermenting steadily for 4 days. I pitched late Saturday afternoon and had blowoff by Sunday morning, so no delays here. My pitching practice is to use pure oxygen ~45 seconds and rehydrate the yeast. I did use a little more yeast than most people though. I probably pitched 16-17 g into 5 gallons. Did anyone else notice the recommended pitching rate on the back? It says 1 g / L.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #122
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6136 Times on 5345 Posts
Likes Given: 749

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDementium View Post
Did anyone else notice the recommended pitching rate on the back? It says 1 g / L.
I did. And wondered why the packs are only 11g if most batches are ~19+L.

I'm wondering if that's part of the slow start.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #123
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Does anyone know what Nottingham or Windsor say on the back? Do they have the same pitching rate?

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #124
infection
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDementium View Post
Finally broke out my BRY-97 this past weekend. I kept a close eye on takeoff time since everyone was saying that this yeast was a bit slower.

OG was 1.055 and I pitched ~ 70-72 F. Ambient temps in house brought the temp down to 66-68 F, where its been fermenting steadily for 4 days. I pitched late Saturday afternoon and had blowoff by Sunday morning, so no delays here. My pitching practice is to use pure oxygen ~45 seconds and rehydrate the yeast. I did use a little more yeast than most people though. I probably pitched 16-17 g into 5 gallons. Did anyone else notice the recommended pitching rate on the back? It says 1 g / L.
I pitched 11g into 10 gallons of wort (oxygenated with pure o2)...took around 18 hours to really get going, visible fermentation started @ around 12 hours

Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #125
AquaDementium
Recipes 

I haven't used dry yeast for a while, but I don't remember seeing this on any other dry yeast.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #126
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Pitching rate for Nottingham and Windsor is 100 gms active dried yeast for 100 litres wort to achieve 7-15 million cells per hectolitre.

Safale US-05 suggests 50/g/hl to 80 g/hl

Lallemand does not recommend any form of aeration.

Fermentis does suggest aeration.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #127
justkev52
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Just the opposite.
Takes forever to drop out of solution.
Pretty much have to cold crash it for over a weelk.
Flavor is good but sweet.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #128
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I used this last week for the first time. Mainly because it was a clean west coast yeast, I was doing a DIPA, and was too lazy to make a starter of some 1056.

Pitched 2 hydrated packs into 1.5 cups of water I boiled, and tossed it in some 1.075 wort.

Took almost 24 hours to show signs of fermentation, maybe a little less, but close to it. Slow starter IMO.

It's still going a week later, but I've kept the temps at 62-64*, and the krausen hasn't dropped, but appears to be doing so this morning. Haven't checked the gravity yet, as it's been only a week. Appears to be pretty cloudy still, but I also ran out of irish moss and planned to use gelatin to clear it after it's done.

Will comment back on any taste from the yeast, and clarity in the next coming days. This appear to be a yeast from reading and comments here that like it a bit warmer.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #129
NeedsMoreHops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Saw this yeast for the first time at my LHBS while picking up ingredients for a simple extract Pale Ale and decided to give it a try. Glad I read this thread, otherwise I'd have worried about no activity after 16 hours. Rehydrated it, waited 15 minutes, but no foaming. Pitched it anyway @5pm yesterday. It is noticeably darker (brownish) than other dry yeasts. Will update when I see airlock activity.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #130
zip100473
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used this yeast for the first time this past weekend in a Double IPA 1.086 OG. Slow starter... I did notice that it clumped a bit. I gave the frementer a small swirl. After about 20 hours I could see the yeast pushing upward. Krausen formed overnight. I used the blowoff not knowing the properties of the yeast. Glad I did. It bitch slapped the simple sugar. Its very aggressive. I love the way its working currently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQpqV...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply