HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone tried WLP585 Belgian Saison III yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Marchborne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Anyone tried WLP585 Belgian Saison III yet?

I just picked up a vial of WLP585 Belgian Saison III at the LHBS. Has anyone tried this yet? I understand it is a new platinum strain, so I figure it may not have a lot of play yet. I was drawn to it by the White Labs description, which included "Produces beer with a high fruit ester characteristic, as well as some slight tartness." I am planning on brewing a Moteuka-based saison, and thought the yeast might combine well.

Any feedback appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
daksin

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Just picked this up as well for a small table saison. I can't wait to try it but am also wondering what it's like. It has been released before, though. It's supposed to not attenuate as crazily as the popular saison yeasts, so I think that may be good for my lower gravity beer. I just had a sample of some 566 saison (high gravity) and it's still super green and yeasty even at 6 weeks. Pretty bummed about that one but I'll give those another chance. I may just not like that yeast for saisons.

Unrelated questions- is there a 3711 white labs equivalent? Is that the 566? If not, where is 566 from if 565 is the dupont strain?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I'm opening up!

twitter.com/twokidsbrewing .. facebook.com/twokidsbrewing .. twokidsbrewing.com

Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
zebbielm12
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

3711 has no White Labs equivalent. 566 is a different Dupont strain.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Marchborne

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

By coincidence, I also have a high gravity fermentation going with 566 as well. I brewed on 7/29, and due to a series of brew-day mishaps, I wound up with the ridiculous OG of 1.113. Unfortunately, one of the screwups was I did not take a reading off the sample I pulled until after I pitched, so I couldn't dilute down to a more reasonable gravity. I took a reading last night, and assuming my refractometer conversion software is correct, the gravity is down to 1.036. I fully expect it's going to stall at some point, but it's still really early. I may zap this one with brett later, and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted on the 585, I'm hoping to brew it this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Just picked this up as well for a small table saison. I can't wait to try it but am also wondering what it's like. It has been released before, though. It's supposed to not attenuate as crazily as the popular saison yeasts, so I think that may be good for my lower gravity beer. I just had a sample of some 566 saison (high gravity) and it's still super green and yeasty even at 6 weeks. Pretty bummed about that one but I'll give those another chance. I may just not like that yeast for saisons.

Unrelated questions- is there a 3711 white labs equivalent? Is that the 566? If not, where is 566 from if 565 is the dupont strain?

Old 08-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Ramitt

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchborne View Post
By coincidence, I also have a high gravity fermentation going with 566 as well. I brewed on 7/29, and due to a series of brew-day mishaps, I wound up with the ridiculous OG of 1.113. :
Umm, did that mishap involve doubling your grain bill.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
passedpawn

Recipes 

Liked 2630 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
Umm, did that mishap involve doubling your grain bill.
Or fell asleep during the boil?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Marchborne

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A little bit of both. Multiple boilovers, didn't balance DME to water ratio afterwards, general mayhem.

On the positive side, my thought is now to finish this monster off with a Brett-C secondary. I used citra in the original "saison," this was supposed to be, with an anticipated dry hop with more citra. I was wondering how that might play out with a brett-c addition, and lo and behold, I was listening to an older BeerSmith podcast discussing brett, and the group decided a brett-c and citra hop would be good. Hey, validation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Or fell asleep during the boil?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a vial of 585 I'm planning to use soon. I'm leaning towards pairing it with Calypso, but I'm open to other options. I guess I was hoping to hear other people's success stories and cautionary tales before I fired up the propane burner.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
emjay
Lacto- and pediophile
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anybody know the brewery that's supposed to be the source?

The description sounds like it could easily end up being my favorite saison strain. Was planning to pick it up at the LHBS on Saturday anyways, but now I'll definitely be doing so.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 82

My buddy just kegged a saison w/ the Platinum strain. It went from 1.050 to 1.003 in 3 days (stir plate starter), and it smelled unbelievable!!! Floral & citrus notes, plus a light sweet/tartness. Can't wait to try it. Plus, he washed the yeast and gave me half--so mine'll be on the way next week. Score!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.
Marchborne Likes This 

Quick Reply