Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone tried BRY-97 yeast yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default Anyone tried BRY-97 yeast yet?

Just heard of a mention of this yeast by Danstar called BRY-97 and wanted to know if anyone on the forum has tried this yeast and what were their opinions.

http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/bry-97-american-west-coast-yeast

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I was wondering the same thing and found this.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

and this.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
guinness_time
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So bought a packet of this at my local HBS this week only because the guys there seem to think it could be PacMan or something very close. They are pretty smart dudes and I trust their opinions. I did a bit of digging and there is nothing that confirms this is in fact PacMan but I can't think what other strain it would be. Just reading the description and knowing what most of the big breweries in the Pacific Northwest use, I can't see it comparing more to any other strain than Rogues PacMan. I did a starter of this stuff and only did 1L. Well I never had a 1L starter blow out of my growler, this one did. This stuff seems like a beast. I'm going to pitch into a American Stout today and see what it does. If the starter is any indication, I'm definatley putting a blow off tube on this thing. The pic was less than 48 hrs in the starter btw and the temp was about 66-68F. The LHBS has a beer going with this and I'll post more when I ask what they think of the finished product. I'll also be trying another run of this in a blonde next week, same recipe I have used PacMan in before so hopefully I'll be able to compare.

"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Facium"

Old 02-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
guinness_time
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is a pic of what it did in a 1L starter in under 48 hours. Never had a yeast do this before.

image-2761329306.jpg  

Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
guinness_time
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is less than 10 hours in the fermenter with a 48 hour 1L starter. This yeast is in Beast Mode.

image-3613367523.jpg  

Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think that yeast is similar to the American Ale II yeast from Wyeast (WY1272). I've had to use blow-off tubes with every beer that I have done with WY1272 and BRY-97. A couple of them were even 1.050-ish beers, not even big ones.....

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella View Post
I haven't try this kind of yeast ever. But wonder if anyone have experience in trying these then please share it with us...

Here's the link to another, extensive, thread relating to BRY-97;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/anyone-try-bry-97-yet-333553/

Very often you can't see the important things on the outside........................................... .
.............Like takoyaki.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I posted in one of the other threads a bit, but to sum it up:

This yeast has a tendency (for many people, but not all) to be a slow starter. Both my father and myself have used it with slow starts, but he has also used it with no delay to taking off. My batch of porter took almost 3 days to show any major activity.

Mine flocced out really well. My transfer to secondary was probably the cleanest I have ever had. The first pint off the keg was super-clean as well. This was the first time I did not have to pour out any beer from the beginning of a keg, but your results may vary. It may have a tendency to reduce hop flavor as well, so I used it in a low hop style, a porter, and it is a neutral tasting yeast that served that purpose well.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Quick Reply