Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone haerd of these new Yeasts from Mangrove Jack's (New Zealand)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #21
njale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

i ordered a pack of the workhorse and a pack of the american ale, not sure what i'm going to use them in yet

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #22
JohanMk1
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaranka View Post
I'm going to give a go at their burton union yeast, anybody tried it? I'm looking for a not-too-prominent yeast but with more esters than notty or s-04.
I think you may have the yeast you're looking for then. I have just done an ESB with the Burton Union. Subtle but definitely present esthers.

We're moving into winter here so temps are lower than than the mid range recomended and that may also have affected it. It was also quite slow, but attenuated well.

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

JKaranka Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #23
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer

Thanks for the post - I think this is worth a try. The product info shows the Workhorse yeast as producing a lager style when fermented in the 59 - 68F range. Did you think it was clean enough to call it a lager flavor?
Definitely lager like. Probably even more than the cream ale blend, which actually has some lager yeast in it. Totally 100% neutral, no esters or sulphur to speak of. And it was pretty clear right away, even without cold crashing. The corn in the recipe shows through a bit more than in past brews of the same recipe. I'd like to try this yeast a few degrees warmer in a Cali common.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #24
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanMk1 View Post
I think you may have the yeast you're looking for then. I have just done an ESB with the Burton Union. Subtle but definitely present esthers.

We're moving into winter here so temps are lower than than the mid range recomended and that may also have affected it. It was also quite slow, but attenuated well.
That sounds really good. Just going for a light, hoppy session bitter to be consumed in large quantities and in one go. I'd prefer a bit more yeast and malt character than notty, so your ESB is reassuring.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #25
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Just finished a porter that will be pecan rum porter and used the newcastle dark. Hope it does a nice job. Planning to also use my oak barrel for the first time on this beer. I will let the group know when it is done.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #26
JKaranka
Recipes 

Got the Burton Union bubbling 12 hours after pitching, and there's an inch of krausen 24 hours after. Looks good, 15% Munich, 4% caramalt, 1% dark crystal, 80% British 2-row. Plenty of Styrian Goldings late additions after early additions of EK Goldings and Fuggles.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #27
JKaranka
Recipes 

Wow, this has almost fermented through, I'm pretty surprised that it has gone from 1.045 to 1.014 in three days. Had a gravity sample and didn't notice much about the yeast, mainly the graininess of the grist.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #28
stbnj
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pitched the West Coast Ale yeast into a hoppy wheat beer (1.046 og) on Saturday at noon. Today the yeast has started to drop out and the beer tastes awesome, didn't check the gravity just pulled a little taster. This fermented at 70 fwiw. I know its a long way to go but I am pretty happy with it. I like S05 but it can be cloudy for me, I am hoping either this or BRY97 offers better clarity for me.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #29
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 62 Posts

I brewed a hefe with the M20 hefe yeast and it turned out pretty good. I was disappointed that it only fermented down to 1.016 from 1.050, though. It tastes nice, fermented at 68ish degrees and it gave off a good banana flavor/aroma. I'd use it again.
I, too, am wanting more dry options. I get nervous about shipping liquid yeast when it's super hot out. Plus, making starters has always been tedious.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #30
JKaranka
Recipes 

Yeah, not getting lots of attenuation. Giving it a couple days more for the yeast to further drop but it seems to have stop at just over 70%

Quick Reply