Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone haerd of these new Yeasts from Mangrove Jack's (New Zealand)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'd really like to see how the workhorse strain does. It would be SO nice to have a yeast that can handle summer temps and not be a saison.

Homebrew Site: forsmanbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
Albionwood
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by staytuned View Post
Big tripel went from 1.090 to 1.001...11.8% ABV.

By "really damn good," do you mean it tastes like a Belgian Tripel?

I've never heard of a beer going that low. Belgian Tripels usually aim for about 80% attenuation, but you got 99%, which I didn't even think was possible with the complex sugars in beer wort... unless you used Beano or something. Tell me more about how you did it!

Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
staytuned
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Mashed low, maybe 149. At least 8 of the points were candi sugar. Left in our hot warehouse for a few weeks after a cool primary fermentation. I guess technically it's more of a strong golden? Some hot alcohol taste but I'm sure it'll mellow out.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
staytuned
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I should add that I'm pretty sure this is a Saison strain

Old 05-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm going to give a go at their burton union yeast, anybody tried it? I'm looking for a not-too-prominent yeast but with more esters than notty or s-04.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #16
ekengland07
Recipes 

I used the Newcastle strain in an Oatmeal Brown Sunday. It finished fermenting last night. Quite active.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 AM   #17
stbnj
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So far I have picked up the Belgian strain, the Workhorse, West Coast, and the Dry English. I will be using the West Coast in a hoppy wheat beer this weekend. I will also be trying the Workhorse in a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH beer that I have always used chico in. I really like seeing more variety in dry yeast.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbnj View Post
So far I have picked up the Belgian strain, the Workhorse, West Coast, and the Dry English. I will be using the West Coast in a hoppy wheat beer this weekend. I will also be trying the Workhorse in a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH beer that I have always used chico in. I really like seeing more variety in dry yeast.
What kind of temp are you going to ferment the workhorse at?

Homebrew Site: forsmanbrewing.com

Old 06-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made a cream ale on big brew day and used the workhorse. I normally have used the White Labs cream ale blend on this recipe. I fermented at around 64 and it is very clean tasting and dropped clear very quickly. It was a quick worker too, took off within 4 hours after pitching. I had it kegged and was drinking it within twelve days. Probably the best cream ale I've made, and I've made a LOT of cream ales for my wife, including several medal winners. I've used a ton of different yeasts on them, and I think this may be my favorite. Next up is a partigyle Old Ale/English brown using the Burton Union yeast for the Old ale and the Newcastle for the brown ale. We'll see how that goes.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWiz View Post
I made a cream ale on big brew day and used the workhorse. I normally have used the White Labs cream ale blend on this recipe. I fermented at around 64 and it is very clean tasting and dropped clear very quickly. It was a quick worker too, took off within 4 hours after pitching. I had it kegged and was drinking it within twelve days. Probably the best cream ale I've made, and I've made a LOT of cream ales for my wife, including several medal winners. I've used a ton of different yeasts on them, and I think this may be my favorite. Next up is a partigyle Old Ale/English brown using the Burton Union yeast for the Old ale and the Newcastle for the brown ale. We'll see how that goes.
Thanks for the post - I think this is worth a try. The product info shows the Workhorse yeast as producing a lager style when fermented in the 59 - 68F range. Did you think it was clean enough to call it a lager flavor?

(By the way, if you're looking for this info, I got it from a link in the on-line Williams Brewing catalog.)

Quick Reply