Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone ever pitch at 100 F?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default Anyone ever pitch at 100 F?

I was at our Big Brew event this past Saturday when my assistant pitched at 100 F since the water line to the wort chiller blew a leak and he didn't know what to do. I had gone on a pizza run and before I got back, he had panicked and pitched 2 packs of rehydrated S-05 since he was worried that the yeast would start to die after 30 minutes so he pitched into 100 F wort and placed the carboy in a cold closet (65 F, so not that cold really). The yeast took off fast but I imagine with that kind of thermal mass, it wouldn't really be reaching 65 F for quite some time. This ever happen to anyone and if so, what was the outcome?

I had already done 10 gallons of the East India Pale Ale so I'm not that worried but it's definitely something I haven't run into yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
lumpher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 15

it'll be fine. may run sluggish for a bit, then make a good run for it, though

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Hefeweizen
4: Hoegarden Saison
5: English Mild

Old 05-10-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
leviticus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not my proudest of brewing moments, but I've probably pitched at that temp without problems... without going into a whole diatribe of thermodynamics and yeast resiliency, the yeast is most likely fine. Not that you'd want to ferment at that temp for long, but if the yeast survives and takes off once it's cooler, what's the difference?

Really beginning to see the importance of: RDWHAHB

Old 05-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Depends on how quickly you got it cooled. I pitched Us 05 at 80 and it didn't get down to 68* for 3 days. Needless to say it's been 3 months and the beer is still undrinkable.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesilential View Post
Depends on how quickly you got it cooled. I pitched Us 05 at 80 and it didn't get down to 68* for 3 days. Needless to say it's been 3 months and the beer is still undrinkable.
banana beer?

Old 05-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
Hoppin_Mad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I accidentally did something very similar once. The beer is drinkable but certainly nothing to brag about. It is ever so slightly rubbery with some fruitiness that does not belong there. Most BMC friends think it is just fine...

Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmm, you know its kind of odd that they suggest to rehydrate in 100 degree water...so then why would 100 degree wort be any different? AS LONG AS you got it down to pitching temp within an hour, it doesn't seem like it would make a difference. Could pitching in 100 degree wort, then throwing the carboy in an ice bath, possibly save the hassle of rehydrating?

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 05-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2449 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

They yeast will love 100F wort. unfortunately they will make a TON of bad flavors while having their orgy...

When you rehydrate you are looking to fill the yeast cells with water. If you rehydrate with wort, the theory is that they can pass stuff into their cells which damage or kill a number of them. Instructions often say to simply pitch on the wort, but the same yeast, packaged to professionals, give instructions to rehydrate in water. I think they believe that the average person is going to want the most simple process, at a loss of a certain number of cells.

Rehydrating yeast with water is no problem because they aren't metabolizing the water, they are just filling their cells with it. The problem is when the majority of your fermentation is done at that temp, which will produce some bad flavors for sure. Unless you are brewing a Saison, in which case a lot of people recommend temps over 90F to really get that funkiness.

I brewed a Centennial Blonde once and it fermented for 2 days at around 90. I threw it out after a couple of months of waiting for it to be drinkable.

You will need to be aggressive to get the temps down on this one. If you let it drop naturally, it will very likely be about finished fermenting before it gets close to the right temp.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Irrenarzt
HNIC
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Yeah I hear what you are saying, which was the reason for my post in the first place. The carboy is at the brewery and is now a solid 60 hours into the fermentation. It wasn't cooled, it was merely placed in the cold closet where they let us leave our stuff. I'm afraid it was probably lost when the cooling hose broke. No worries, it was essentially a free batch. I'll remake it at home without an assistant and it will come out much better.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

What the heck was this about your friend thinking the yeast would die after 30 minutes? After 30 minutes of what? Being opened? Being looked at funny?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply