Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anybody confirmed what yeast Bell's Brewery uses?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #31
dcbeerboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
I've never used WY1084 (Irish Ale right?) before so I don't know how it compares to Bells yeast. But I'm wondering, how convinced are you that what you heard is true? Did you hear that from a reliable source?
went and looked. fairly obscure reference, so i'll just save that for another recipe.

did we come to a consensus on what the closest strain to bells is?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #32
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

I want to revive this old thread to see if anybody has any fresh info on the bells strain and also to report my own experiences.

I cultured the bells strain and used it to make an IPA with a grain bill the same as BTHA, but with only about 50 IBU and 1.055 OG. This brew finished at 1.013 and is quite tasty, sure tastes like a bells beer.

I just yesterday pitched the bells yeast into a bitter and it took off in know time, thank you starter, and I am assuming I will finish dry with some fruity esters, so here is to hoping.

One thing I did notice is that this strain is not all that flocculant. But it sure does taste good.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #33
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
One thing I did notice is that this strain is not all that flocculant. But it sure does taste good.
Hmmm... I don't see that. I brewed 5 1-gallon batches with various yeasts (including Bells) and it seems pretty flocculant to me. I'll post pictures after they're all bottled and good tasting.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 AM   #34
grove
Recipes 

I cultured from a few bottles of Two Hearted about 4 months ago. Used in an IPA and most recently a wheat brew, I have found that it makes a frothy, creamy krausen that takes twice as long to settle out as with the same recipe using WLP001. And the beer is good! I am fermenting at about 68F.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #35
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I want to revive this old thread to see if anybody has any fresh info on the bells strain and also to report my own experiences.

I cultured the bells strain and used it to make an IPA with a grain bill the same as BTHA, but with only about 50 IBU and 1.055 OG. This brew finished at 1.013 and is quite tasty, sure tastes like a bells beer.

I just yesterday pitched the bells yeast into a bitter and it took off in know time, thank you starter, and I am assuming I will finish dry with some fruity esters, so here is to hoping.

I've made a few batches with Bell's yeast I cultured from one bottle of Bell's Pale Ale. It does attenuate well and it does appear to be not very flocculant...until you chill it. After you chill/condition it it floccs out so well it comes out crystal clear, almost polished it's so clear. It's very light and fluffy (for lack of a better word) and can get roused up easily but it does settle out very well given time and cold.

Just tapped my 2-Hearted inspired ale about a week ago and it's quite tasty (and crystal clear).
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #36
BearBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
American ale II is the Anchor Liberty ale strain, the same as Cal V.

I talked to John Mallett last time I was at Bell's production brewery and not only did he confirm it was proprietary but it's the exact same strain for every ale. The only time they use a different yeast is on lagers or doing Brett beers and anything funky is done at the old brewery. Right on their control panel they had a sticker with following on it:

Hell Hath No Fury 78
Two Hearted 76
Winter White 74
Ales 72
Lagers 48-50

I can shed a little more light on this. Of these beers, Winter White uses a different yeast than the primary Bell's strain, and Hell Hath No Fury doesn't use a proprietary strain at all. I talked to Gary at Bell's, and he told me that Hell Hath No Fury uses equal parts WLP500 and WLP550. The beer contains no spices or flavorings. All of those flavors come from the yeast, so it's easy to believe the beer is fermented that hot.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #37
dracus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just a quick comment.

I am tasting a clone I made of two hearted. I used s05 and it came out pretty close. We just needed a bit more on the hop flavor easy to adjust next brew. We actually had trouble picking out which one was the clone.

As an experiment, we fermented one with English ale (s04) and the other with American ale (s05).

Next time I think I'll culture up some yeast from a bottle our two. I have a stir plate and use it already to grow starters should be a piece of cake.

Quick Reply