Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Any good reading on yeast science? I have questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 04:24 AM   #11
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizosaccharomyces View Post
If it is a mix of strains then it would not be a custom strain, it would be a custom blend.
Manufacturer's don't "make" new strains. They either acquire a sample from elsewhere, make a master slant, and then propagate (WL001/WY1056 are the same "Chico" strain from the same brewery) or find/develop a mutant from an already existing strain. The mutant strain then has to be developed further through stressing/coaxing to make sure that it is a stable mutant with consistent expression of the desired trait. It is possible to do this at home (Cry Havoc) but the chances of coming up with a stable mutant outside of laboratory conditions is not very likely unless you are willing to invest a lot of time and money.
If you really want to get into some reading on it check out this review:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/e6168770225h0v12/
Custom strain...custom blend...all the same to me. I try to make my answers in this site as simple as possible since most homebrewers aren't biology majors.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

http://www.yeastgenome.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharomyces_cerevisiae/

Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
Schizosaccharomyces
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobrew View Post
New brewer only slightly less new baker. Anyone use the same strain for both? How do I look into keeping my yeast
I have never heard of anybody using a beer specific strain of yeast for baking but it would make sense since bakers and brewers yeast are both S. cerivisiae, however I do know of a lady who has been making mead and other honey/fruit wines with Fleischmann's for over a decade and is constantly winning awards for her entries. Personally I think it would be kinda cool to use part of a fresh yeast cake to get some dough rising and make some tasty bread.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:04 AM   #14
Noobrew
Recipes 

Glad you mentioned the Fleischmann's... My supplier forgot the yeast when she put my ingrediants together and they closed before I started the boil... Let's see how it goes!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:29 AM   #15
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The problem with using Fleischmann's is the amounts of contamination units allowed per package. I don't know what the standard is but I know when testing beer and yeast slurries labs aim for less than 10 colony forming units with 0 preferred. Fleishmanns is cheap because they do not adhere to strict cleanliness standards like brewing yeast producers because baking yeast is made for baking and any contaminates die in the baking process.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #16
windbreaker123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good luck with the Fleischmann's. It will ferment but it will be slow. And the taste will not be right. I did it many many years ago and I learned bread yeast is better for bread. And yeast for beer is better for beer. And there is no real difference in cost.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
Noobrew
Recipes 

Taste is ok, won't be using this recipie often for other reasons. Biggest pain about Fleishmans is the low floccuation. I lose about an ounce or two each bottle trying to avoid the dregs. Very carbonated, but could be the recipie too.

Worst case scenario: its better than dumping a batch, but I bought extra beer yeast for the next time I'm in a bind.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #18
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizosaccharomyces View Post
I have never heard of anybody using a beer specific strain of yeast for baking but it would make sense since bakers and brewers yeast are both S. cerivisiae, however I do know of a lady who has been making mead and other honey/fruit wines with Fleischmann's for over a decade and is constantly winning awards for her entries. Personally I think it would be kinda cool to use part of a fresh yeast cake to get some dough rising and make some tasty bread.
I tried it. Bread came out very dense.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #19
Noobrew
Recipes 

Actually if I would have just RDWHAHB, its getting better every day

Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
. . . . Anybody else stay up at night wondering these things?
Yes, had to get up at 3 this morning too, my brain is sometimes bothersome.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Quick Reply