Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Any experience with T-58 yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Default Any experience with T-58 yeast?

Have you used Safbrew T-58 yeast? If you have, what were your experiences with this yeast? How did you pitch it and at what temperature did you ferment? Did it start slow or fast?

I'm using it on a wit right now and it seems to be starting really slow.

--------

Beer ----

--- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
mblanks2
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I used in on a wit and it started up normally within 24 - 36 hours but stopped at 1.025. (All extract batch). Did not rehydrate. I shook the primary and roused the yeast again and it got down to 1.020. Continued shaking but didn't get any more drop out of it. Temperature was held at 65*F to start and raised toward the end to 69*F. Primary 8 days, secondary 7 days. Primed and bottled on 4/2 and tried one the other night. Carbonated well but very sweet. Maybe longer primary and no secondary would've made it better. It was only my third batch.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblanks2 View Post
I used in on a wit and it started up normally within 24 - 36 hours but stopped at 1.025. (All extract batch). Did not rehydrate. I shook the primary and roused the yeast again and it got down to 1.020. Continued shaking but didn't get any more drop out of it. Temperature was held at 65*F to start and raised toward the end to 69*F. Primary 8 days, secondary 7 days. Primed and bottled on 4/2 and tried one the other night. Carbonated well but very sweet. Maybe longer primary and no secondary would've made it better. It was only my third batch.
Thanks for that info. This yeast seems to be really slow. I've gotten absolutely no activity in the airlock after 48 hours at 65F. It is showing a little krausen so I think there must be something going on in there. I brought it inside tonite to warm up a bit and will watch the airlock later this evening. Maybe nothing to do but take a sample and see if there is any change from the OG?

--------

Beer ----

------

Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just a follow-up in case someone is following this thread:

After 48 hours at 65F and zero activity in the airlock I pulled the fermenter bucket from my fermenter/freezer and placed it inside the house where it was a cozy 80F. After about 4 hours the airlock started bubbling. A little lethargic, but a lot more action than I've seen during the past two days.

I changed the temperature setting on the fermenting chamber to 70F and replaced the beer into the chamber. Will check it in the morning to see if this change has gotten this yeast up and running. I'm thinking this yeast needs it a little warmer than the Nottingham and US-05 that I've had more experience with.

--------

Beer ----

------

Old 04-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
baulz
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used it recently for Revvy's Belgian Blonde and fermented in my basement which is around 64-65F. It was a slow fermentation, and stopped at 1.020 (1.067OG). The beer had a weird ass-like aroma but tasted fine, now the aroma is gone.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baulz View Post
I used it recently for Revvy's Belgian Blonde and fermented in my basement which is around 64-65F. It was a slow fermentation, and stopped at 1.020 (1.067OG). The beer had a weird ass-like aroma but tasted fine, now the aroma is gone.
You mentioned it was a slow fermentation, how long did you end up letting it run?

My freezer/fermenter hasn't warmed up yet from the night chill so it is still at 65F this morning but there is some activity in the airlock now. Very sluggish. I'll be interested in checking it as the day goes on and things warm up out there a bit. I set the control to hold at 70F.

--------

Beer ----

------

Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Vman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlethumper View Post
You mentioned it was a slow fermentation, how long did you end up letting it run?

My freezer/fermenter hasn't warmed up yet from the night chill so it is still at 65F this morning but there is some activity in the airlock now. Very sluggish. I'll be interested in checking it as the day goes on and things warm up out there a bit. I set the control to hold at 70F.
There is another string I am engaged on with this very topic. I've never had luck fermenting with my extract belgians below 70. Some people have, but for me (and I've used T-58 in a Tripel that came out amazing), I need to be above 70, more likely around 73 in order to get it to finish.

Just my experience.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I like dry yeast and It's my go to Belgian yeast for my saison's. It's usually quick and ferments dry. I ferment at room temp for saison's though, so 70-80°.... it has a little fruity taste at those temps but it works for me

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
Vman Likes This 
Old 04-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
46andbrew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I brewed a Belgian black wit with t-58 pitched dry fermented around 68 to 70. Og was 1.058 down to 1.016 in 3 weeks. Started strong like usual. Great beer my first recipe i am very happy with it.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Snisup
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Subbed: Because I have a pack of t-58 laying around and I'm not a big Belgian fan.

Quick Reply