another stuck ferm question but more pointed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jheist

Reaction score
I hate making one of these posts but here it goes:

I made an AG Dead Guy Clone 2 weeks ago with an OG of 1.070. Rehydrated S-05 and pitched at 70 F. I tried to keep it at 60 F in my basement and it started around 62 for 4 days or so and has been slightly below 60 (56-60 range) for the remainder of the two weeks. I moved it out of the basement to a 70 degree area to see if the rise in temp will get me down a few points but it currently is at 1.026. I want it to be at least 1.018.

My question is: I have a Belgian Pale Ale that has attenuated fully sitting in the primary. I was considering bottling that and racking the Dead Guy over to see if it can buy me a couple of points. I wanted the Dead Guy to have a clean yeast profile. Do you think the Belgian yeast will add a lot of unwanted flavors even if its just trying to get a couple of points? (WLP 515)

So a beer that is too sweet? or belgian flavors in a dead guy?

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, you would get some Belgian flavor...how much I couldn't really say.

I would consider a process change there and not pitch yeast warmer than where you are fermenting, especially 10 degrees warmer. I don't want to be a jerk and give unsolicited advice, but I see alot of threads on "stuck ferment"...alot of the reason why I came here and left Beeradvocate's site...if you pitch the proper amount of yeast, at the right temp, with proper oxygenation, and maintain temperature control during fermentation you will have a fully attenuated beer. I would be willing to bet that the number one cause of under attenaution is pitching warm and then dropping the temp or having the temp drop during fermentation resulting in the yeast going dormant. Anyway, just a thought for future brews.

Advice is always welcome! I'll start pitching at closer to fermentation temps. I was assuming my lack of attenuation was due to the low fermentation temps (often just below 60) but pitching at a higher temp could definitely be the problem

Latest posts

Back