The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Another General Yeast Cake Question!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
I am currently brewing an Amber Ale in my primary (Wyeast 1056) and it's been in there for a week. The gravity has fallen from 1.048 to 1.012 and I'm ready to rack into my secondary.

My question is this:
What is the best method for reusing the yeast the same day for an IPA I'm brewing that uses the same yeast strain? I don't want to pitch directly on the cake, nor am I concerned with saving any cultures for later brews.

Could I simply rack to secondary, pour about a 1/2 gallon of sanitized/cooled water into the primary, swish around for a while, then decant of into a large growler? Then clean/sterilize the primary, brew/cool the IPA wort and pour into primary, then pour the yeast sample from the growler into the primary without making a starter?

It seems like if I did this it would be similar to pitching the wort on the cake however I'd be removing the excess trub that I don't want.

Yeah, you would basically be washing it at that point. If you don't plan on removing the trub and stuff, why not just pour chilled wort directly onto cake? What your saying is doing the exact same thing as pitching onto a cake, but in another container.

Here's a thread on yeast washing. http://http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f...strated-41768/

Last edited by HalfPint; 10-22-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #12
DrinkNoH2O
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
Yeah, you would basically be washing it at that point. If you don't plan on removing the trub and stuff, why not just pour chilled wort directly onto cake? What your saying is doing the exact same thing as pitching onto a cake, but in another container.

Here's a thread on yeast washing. http://http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f...strated-41768/
I've read the yeast washing thread however no one appears to be doing quite what I am trying to accomplish.

I do plan on removing the trub. I basically just want to do one large "wash" in a growler...

-Pour water (how much is enough?) into primary, swirl, let settle for like 20 minutes.
-Pour that liquid from primary into large growler, let settle for like 20 minutes.
-Then decant off liquid directly into new wort in clean primary.

I'm just curious if this is a good approach and if it's enough yeast to pitch an IPA.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
DrinkNoH2O
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts

Well, I ended up just pitching the IPA wort directly on the cake because there really wasn't as much trub as I though there would be, and there was a lot less hops in the trub than I expected as well (I thought I did a poor job straining but I ended up getting most of it out after all.)

Fermentation took off like crazy after only 3 hours, blow off tube was bubbling rapidly and after two days is still bubbling strong (SG was 1.065).

Old 10-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #14
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
Well, I ended up just pitching the IPA wort directly on the cake because there really wasn't as much trub as I though there would be, and there was a lot less hops in the trub than I expected as well (I thought I did a poor job straining but I ended up getting most of it out after all.)

Fermentation took off like crazy after only 3 hours, blow off tube was bubbling rapidly and after two days is still bubbling strong (SG was 1.065).
Considering that you were pitching an Ipa, I wouldnt have worried about all that trub. I typically only worry about trub if I'm going from an extremly hopped beer t oa not so extremely hopped one, but even then I'm just lazy and do it.

I'm about to make another batch of Apfelwein and I'm just going to pour a bit of juice (straight out of the bottle) onto the old cake swirl and pour it into a new sanitized carboy since I have to use the one it's in now for something else.

Those yeasties are pretty tough.

Quick Reply