Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Another General Yeast Cake Question!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Another General Yeast Cake Question!!

Sorry in advance if this has already been answered, but I'm too lazy to look through countless threads.

I want to pour a chilled wort right on top of the yeast cake in my primary after I rack that one to the keg. I've never done this before and my concern is sanitizing.

Do I clean (sanitize) the bucket at all or do I just dump my wort in?

Thanks a lot,
J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 427 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 660

As long as you racked off the previous beer recently, just dump the wort in the bucket.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
bierbrauer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would recommend cleaning the primary and the yeast before reusing in the next batch. The junk left in the primary from the previous batch can give off flavours to the next beer. A technique I have used with success is as follows. rack the beer off the yeast and trub in the primary, then get yourself a litre of cold distilled water. Sanitize a smaller (1gallon) jug or something around that size and dump the yeast, trub and cold water in together with a funnel. Make sure everything is Sanitized. let this container chill in the fridge for about an hour and most of the junk will settle to the bottom. This is a similar process used when washing yeast for storage. After it has settled a while decant the yeast either into a smaller container (sanitized) before pitching or directly into the next beer.

I had some yeast and trub that I dumped into a 2 litre pop container about a month ago which I just rinsed and pitched it into 10 gallons of belgian blonde last week, it started fermenting about 6 hours later and smells great so far.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierbrauer View Post
I would recommend cleaning the primary and the yeast before reusing in the next batch. The junk left in the primary from the previous batch can give off flavours to the next beer. A technique I have used with success is as follows. rack the beer off the yeast and trub in the primary, then get yourself a litre of cold distilled water. Sanitize a smaller (1gallon) jug or something around that size and dump the yeast, trub and cold water in together with a funnel. Make sure everything is Sanitized. let this container chill in the fridge for about an hour and most of the junk will settle to the bottom. This is a similar process used when washing yeast for storage. After it has settled a while decant the yeast either into a smaller container (sanitized) before pitching or directly into the next beer.

I had some yeast and trub that I dumped into a 2 litre pop container about a month ago which I just rinsed and pitche d it into 10 gallons of belgian blonde last week, it started fermenting about 6 hours later and smells great so far.
Yeah, I have washed yeast a few times, but thats if I dont't have another beer ready that's going to be using the same style of yeast. The beer I'm planning on putting on this yeast cake is the exact same recipe that the yeast are fermenting right now. Do you still think I should was them?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 554 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 76

If you are experienced enough to have washed yeast a few times, you are experienced enough to search further information on the process.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
WenValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
but I'm too lazy to look through countless threads.

Now there's a statement that makes me want to help.... not!

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-13-2009, 02:20 AM   #7
HalfPint
Recipes 

Aww, you guys are too good to me.
Actually, I did search through about 20 threads and none of them mentioned sanitizing. I'm sure that there is a thread on this site some where, but I couldn't find it.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
pdbreen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 what hammy said - it was clean before you took the beer out, it will still be clean when you put the wort back in provided you keep the lid on in between (pretty much the same as cracking the lid for a hydrometer reading).

On Deck: Centennial IPA, Dry Irish Stout
P: Cascade Pale Ale
S: (nothing!)
K: (nothing!)
T: Carbed Crystal Light, Root Beer, Vanilla Cream Soda, Tripel IPA, Apfelwein

e^(pi*i) + 1 = 0

Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 AM   #9
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbreen View Post
+1 what hammy said - it was clean before you took the beer out, it will still be clean when you put the wort back in provided you keep the lid on in between (pretty much the same as cracking the lid for a hydrometer reading).
Alright, thanks a lot man.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts

I am currently brewing an Amber Ale in my primary (Wyeast 1056) and it's been in there for a week. The gravity has fallen from 1.048 to 1.012 and I'm ready to rack into my secondary.

My question is this:
What is the best method for reusing the yeast the same day for an IPA I'm brewing that uses the same yeast strain? I don't want to pitch directly on the cake, nor am I concerned with saving any cultures for later brews.

Could I simply rack to secondary, pour about a 1/2 gallon of sanitized/cooled water into the primary, swish around for a while, then decant of into a large growler? Then clean/sterilize the primary, brew/cool the IPA wort and pour into primary, then pour the yeast sample from the growler into the primary without making a starter?

It seems like if I did this it would be similar to pitching the wort on the cake however I'd be removing the excess trub that I don't want.

Quick Reply