Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Another case of tiny bubbles in secondary
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
EthanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 82
Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Another case of tiny bubbles in secondary

I think I've read all the other threads posing a similar question/issue, but the cases weren't quite the same. Anyhow, hope this isn't an annoying repeat.

Short version: I brewed the AHS Fall ESB. I moved my secondary to the counter and after the jostled particulates settled, I started to see tiny bubbles percolating to the top (see video). Gravity was basically target (1.015...target is 1.014), so I should be good. But as you can see in the video, that's a lot of bubbles.

OK to bottle or accident waiting to happen?

More details:
* I had some initial issues w/ fermentation so I ended up pitching again about a week after initial pitch.
* Brew was in primary for > 2wks and secondary > 2wks.
* My vested interest in bottling now as opposed to waiting is that I need to free up the carboy for another batch.

__________________
EthanH is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #2
zacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,016
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default

When you jostled the particles, you also let the trapped gases out. This, and the yeast being reactivated, are causing some bubbling. I'd probably wait until it stopped just to be safe. If you're in a rush, buy another carboy.

__________________
zacster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
EthanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 82
Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Thanks for the response. From reading the other threads, it does seem it is just trapped gases and/or awakening yeast as you say.

Yeah, I should just get another carboy. I was at the damn homebrew store today and I should've gotten one. The problem is that I started brewing my next batch already (have to bottle so I can move what's in the primary to secondary to make room for the next batch) and AHB isn't open at 11:30pm

So I guess my next question would be: I'm brewing a minimash and I've only done the grain-soaking/sparging part. Would I be safe to just refrigerate this and start my boil tomorrow?

__________________
EthanH is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
zacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,016
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Oh, you're in THAT much of a rush. You are probably OK to keep it for tomorrow. You'll be boiling it so you don't need to keep it sterile. It's not any different than LME at this point, just more water.

__________________
zacster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
EthanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 82
Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Yeah. I kind of planned it pretty tight. Learned my lesson.

I think I'll follow your advice and wait for the bubbling secondary to chill out. I'll boil my new brew now and then cover overnight. If bubbling in secondary hasn't stopped in the AM, I'll run out and get another carboy.

Thanks again. I've been reading the forums for over a year, but this was my first post. So great to get such a speedy response w/ helpful info.

__________________
EthanH is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
EthanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 82
Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

POST MORTEM:

The bubbling calmed down a bit the next day, but was still very evident. I went ahead and bottled. Now here we are, 2 weeks later and the the beer is ready to drink. No bottle bombs and no carb issues. So, going forward I'm going to say what many others on HBT have already said: bubbles or no bubbles, if your OG is on target, you are probably good to go ahead and bottle.

Also, for my other beer-in-progress, I end up leaving the wort in the kettle overnight and finishing the next day. So far so good. That batch is in bottles too and should be ready drink this weekend.

__________________
EthanH is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tiny bubbles in secondary won't quit! HopChef Fermentation & Yeast 4 10-20-2012 12:48 PM
Little Tiny Bubbles scbc Mead Forum 3 12-19-2010 05:14 PM
Tiny bubbles... tireater Extract Brewing 10 04-06-2009 09:23 PM
tiny bubbles... zahna Cider Forum 3 07-21-2006 07:41 PM