Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > amylase enzyme

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
android
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default amylase enzyme

i wasn't really sure what the proper process for adding AE was to beer, so i decided to minimize transfer and add it to the primary. i put in 1 tsp for the 5 gallon batch, stirred it around a bit with a sanitized spoon and nothing much happened for 3 or 4 days. i figured either the beer had attenuated enough that the AE wouldn't make a difference or the stuff was bad... anyway, i decided to rack it to secondary just in case something started happening... after a few days in secondary, i noticed it kept bubbling every once in a while.. i figured just some gassing off... now it's actually starting to bubble a little more frequently and you can see little co2 bubbles rising to the surface like an apfelwein fermentation or something. i was expecting something more along the lines of a referment with a krausen and all... has anyone else had an experience like this? or does it normally build a second krausen, etc?

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 02:29 AM   #2
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Been using AE a bunch for my lawnmower brews

No 2nd krausen, it ferments slowly like a wine yeast. Give it two weeks to clean up.

Its common to put this in your mash tun and in the 2ndary.

The AE removes flavors from adjuncts like flaked corn. Without the AE you can taste the corn. It will make the beer very dry and crisp. This is quite important for a light beer. It makes the beer cheaper to make since you can use as little as 6lbs to make 1.030 beer with about 3.8-4.2% ABV.

See my recipe drop down for Miller Lite for more info. Tri-hopped!!! Soooo much better than any Miller Beer

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 08-26-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
android
Recipes 

thanks for the info, i am actually using this for a recipe based on your ML... i subbed rice for corn and ended up with a slightly higher OG ~ 1.040... i'll let her finish out before kegging, can't wait to try it!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I've found that adding AE to a batch will change my attenuation from 75% to ~94%. Depending on the strength going into the wort, that could be an amazing amount of alcohol being made, as well as an amazing amount of body leaving the beer (for every plus there is a minus).

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 08-27-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuarra View Post
I've found that adding AE to a batch will change my attenuation from 75% to ~94%. Depending on the strength going into the wort, that could be an amazing amount of alcohol being made, as well as an amazing amount of body leaving the beer (for every plus there is a minus).
That's very true!

I think the AE is best suited where you want dryness and lower carbs. So its really good for light beers. American Pale Ales or Lagers.

The ML-Tri-hop clone I make is great for a lawnmower beer. Its also a good for bridging the gap between BMC drinkers & home brewers. The AE makes the beer dry so its not cloying in slightest bit. It essentially makes it very clean and crisp. The AE is really good at pulling out the corn flavor one gets in flaked corn, so if you want that in an American Cream Ale skip the AE.

If you are looking for a good lawnmower beer or somethin' to please BMC drinking friends try the one in my pull-down. You will be amazed on how clean the beer will be.

BS Nano-Brewery

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 08-27-2009 at 02:21 AM.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:47 AM   #6
android
Recipes 

i just remembered reading in that ML clone thread that your secondary bubbled like crazy and you needed a blowoff, that's why i was surprised how wine-yeast-like my secondary was... it's still slowly bubbling away, i'm really looking forward to the finished beer... hopefully it will be ready for the iowa vs. iowa st. game in a few weeks... i used all saaz in mine as well, so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out... i'll be sure to post a pic and review in the recipe thread. thanks for posting it.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
i just remembered reading in that ML clone thread that your secondary bubbled like crazy and you needed a blowoff, that's why i was surprised how wine-yeast-like my secondary was... it's still slowly bubbling away, i'm really looking forward to the finished beer... hopefully it will be ready for the iowa vs. iowa st. game in a few weeks... i used all saaz in mine as well, so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out... i'll be sure to post a pic and review in the recipe thread. thanks for posting it.
I'm looking forward to that. I have a bunch of Saaz too. I may have to do that as well!

BS Nano-Brewery

Quick Reply