The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > American Brown Ale Temperature concern

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
DansBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default American Brown Ale Temperature concern

Hey all, I just made an American Brown ale lastnight, I forget the Wyeast number. I pitched the yeast about 77 degrees. It was a slap pack, I popped the day before brew. The wort has risen in temp above what my tape on thermometer can read. How hot is too hot with this yeast? I just did a Saison, and couldn't get it Hot enough. Basement stays about 75 constant this time of year. Is this still too warm? Should I resort to trying to cool it Off? Its over 80 on the temp now, and its Bubbling like mad. No weird smells from Airlock as of yet... I'm pretty relaxed, only slightly worried and wishing I Was drinking a homebrew, but I'm at work.

Drinking and blogging does not mix. you strt frgeting to moeve your fingres rigth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ya, try to bring your temps down some. Do a search for a swamp cooler. Basically stick it in a tub of water with a tshirt over it to wick up the water. Blow a fan on it if possible.

Any off flavors have probably already developed. The first couple days of fermentation are the most critical.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 08-08-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 30

+1 on the swamp cooler. Old tub full of cool water, old black tee shirt, and an old box fan on low gave me a 10 degree drop from room temperature for my last batch. Water bath was 62 while the basement was 72.

Be sure to read Revvy's blog before you worry too much about the effect of one day of heat. About the fourth entry down.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
DansBrew
Recipes 

That is the first I'm hearing about the tub/shirt thing. Pretty cool idea. Works basically like a radiator in a car then. I know what I'm doing when I get home from work. Thanks for your help.

Drinking and blogging does not mix. you strt frgeting to moeve your fingres rigth.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #5
junior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Here is a good setup to control temperature, thermometer on the right is for water and the one on the left is monitoring the wort.This batch was done today, wanted to keep temperature between 59-62, but forgot to put freezer packs into the freezer.

200_0011.jpg   200_0013.jpg   200_0019.jpg   200_0018.jpg  

Quick Reply