Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Am I stalled, how to fix??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
BenRuss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Am I stalled, how to fix??

I started a Charlie P. stout on Thursday night. It is a Cooper's Stout kit done with 1.1kgs of DME, hop additions and Nottingham yeast. I read the Nottingham package and pitched in the proper temp. range and put the primary in my furnace room where it has remained between 65 and 68f. I checked this morning (Saturday) and have no action at all. Sg is 1.035 after starting at 1.050. There is a nice layer of trub but it looks to be settling. What's happening?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Copbrew133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

If the gravity has gone down then it is fermenting. Just about every fermentation is different. Some show little sign of activity, but the yeast are hard at work and some require a blow off tube because of the formation of krausen flying out the top of the fermenter. Trust your readings and be patient.

Thirsty Mutt Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-b...-along-366645/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bodi...-cheap-299101/

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
yeastforbrains
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If by "stuck" you mean consecutive readings over a few days show the same SG, then you could try to rack the beer with the lees and all over to another vessel, with the purpose to get all the yeast back in suspension. I'd try moving it warmer at the same time to encourage the yeast. If on the other hand, consecutive readings show SG decreasing, leave it alone and check SG after a few weeks. Don't disturb it unless you have to.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Ok, that is sound advice. I will take another reading in the morning and see if it is indeed stalled. If it has moved I will just leave it. It just seemed strange, as all other kits I have done have fermented actively.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRuss View Post
I started a Charlie P. stout on Thursday night. It is a Cooper's Stout kit done with 1.1kgs of DME, hop additions and Nottingham yeast. I read the Nottingham package and pitched in the proper temp. range and put the primary in my furnace room where it has remained between 65 and 68f. I checked this morning (Saturday) and have no action at all. Sg is 1.035 after starting at 1.050. There is a nice layer of trub but it looks to be settling. What's happening?
OG: 1.050, 2 days later (today) it is at 1.035. I think it is working.

What tells you there is no action. If it is the airlock, there are many reasons why that is not a good indication.

Come back in 5 days and tell us it;s still at 1.035 and we might agree you have a stuck fermentation. Right now it seems normal.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Opened this today to check the SG. Still at 1.035 and the trub had all settled out. No action at all. I will check it again tomorrow but I would think that something has happened.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Sounds like it just needs more time. You will likely not see activity toward the end of fermentation after the yeast has completed dividing, but the gravity will still be dropping. If it really is stalled, my guess would be that it is caused by use of LME or poor aeration prior to pitching.

Top ten reasons you might stall:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...l-gravity.html

Top ten ways to fix a stalled fermentation:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...mentation.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
yeastforbrains
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1.035 yesterday and today looks stuck to me, from an OG of 1.05. I would sanitize a long spoon and give it a good few stirs, make sure you bring the whole yeast bed back into suspension. Failing that, I would rack it into secondary vessel with all the yeast, and try to splash it in to get some O2 into the mix. How did you aerate in the first place? Failing that, aerate again and pitch new yeast, but rehydrate it first in sterilized, chilled water, as sprinkle directly on wort will kill about 50% of the cells in the pack, so if that's what you did in the first place, combined with no aeration, would explain why it stuck.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Basically all the water that goes into my primary that I add my boil to and all top-up water come from the vegetable sprayer at my kitchen sink. It seems to foam up well. Once I have gotten to 5 gallons I try to stir in the bubbles.
I am a yeast sprinkler though. I have never had this happen and so I have never tried a starter. Maybe pitch temp and the fact that I sprinkle has killed most of the yeast. It did look like it was doing well, then just stopped.
It is a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon bucket as well, so that could account for no airlock activity but the SG and the sorts appearance say nuttins up in thar.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

How are you taking gravity readings?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply