Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Am I fermenting too cold?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Surface_Tension
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Am I fermenting too cold?

I'm doing Edworts IPA which I have done numerous times and love it. I try to keep the fermentation around 60 or 62 but it tends to take 14 or so days. this last time, even after 14 days it had a few points to go, so I raised it to 70 and it took off again for about a day.

Am I fermenting too low of a temp? I am trying to avoid off flavors but am thinking I might be slowing the little guys down.

I get my yeast at Orlando Brewing Company and the brewmaster said it was a S-05.

thanks.

Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
tolkheleknar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fermentation should produce some amount of heat, but 60 deg F as an external temperature might be a little too cold, depending on your batch size. If you have control on your external temps (jealous!), I would probably dial it in to around 65, but them I'm still on 5 gal batches so you might want it a little cooler if yours are larger.

I need a new brewing "company" name; thoughts?
Future Brews: Moo-Hoo Clone attempt #1
Primary: 90 Minutes to the Center of the Galaxy (90 Min Clone SH w/ Galaxy)
Secondary:lol you secondary bro?
Bottled: Never again
Kegged: The Mandarin Simcoe SH IPA

Old 11-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
CHRGRS100
Recipes 

I was just asking myself this same question. I just started using a chest freezer with a temp control. If I want to ferment at 67 what would be appropriate external temp (temp inside the chest freezer)???

Old 11-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have an IPA going right now that has been in the 55-62 range, but I used Notty which is supposed to work well with the lower temps. Haven't taken a reading yet (only been a week) but it has calmed down and cleared up nice.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 457

As long as the yeast is working, it isn't too cold. If you like the result at that temp, let it go and do it's thing... it will be a pretty clean beer. If you want it quicker and a little fruitier (that's a relatively clean yeast anyway) you can bump the temp up to 70ish and have good results a little quicker.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You can get anywhere from 5-10 degree increase from active fermentation. I have run every test you can imagine to figure out the best thing to do in a chest freezer setup. Simply enough, the answer is duct tape a washcloth over the temp probe right to the side of the carboy.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
CHRGRS100
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1038
You can get anywhere from 5-10 degree increase from active fermentation. I have run every test you can imagine to figure out the best thing to do in a chest freezer setup. Simply enough, the answer is duct tape a washcloth over the temp probe right to the side of the carboy.
Perfect. I'll try this. I have 4 5gal batches fermenting at all times in this freezer.
Thanks!

Old 11-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Surface_Tension
Recipes 

I use a fridge with temp control, but the thermostat is way off, so I look at the temp strips on the side of the glass carboy. I am assuming they are closer to the external temp than the internal temp, since they are on the external surface.

So the cooler the temp, the cleaner the beer is what I am hearing. I've also heard a couple days at room temp is good for an IPA as well.

I am most concerned that the fermentation is complete, as I had a bottle bomb episode a while back that I don't wish to repeat. Lately my fermentations just seem to drag on at the latter portions, slowly bubbling for several days. I'll just keep a close watch on the gravity to make sure it has stabilized.

Thanks for comments.

Dave

Old 11-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

60F is right near the bottom range of 05 yeast. I assume you pitched a slurry of yeast, so did you aerate or oxygenate your wort? Especially at colder temps the yeast is going to be slower acting and that initial growth phase of yeast needs Oxygen.

Some brewers have reported Peachy esters from cold fermenting of 05, so I don't agree with the "cooler the temp, the cleaner the beer".

I usually use 05 in the 64-68 range and am happy with those results.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If you have 4 batches going you're going to have to pay attention to quite a bit. Realize if you do the tape and towel, your freezer will be colder than what the temp probe says during active ferment.

If you're worried about the beer finishing out, just move it to room temp right as the krausen starts to drop.

Quick Reply