Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Ale yeast at 50F?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Madinaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ale yeast at 50F?

Looking to ferment a brown ale this winter, but my basement is about 52 degrees this time of year. Are there any ale yeasts that will slowly chew through a 1.069 brown ale at that temp? I don't mind if I have to keep it down there for the long haul. Just looking for some feedback.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Any reason you can't bring the fermentor up into the warmer part of your house for the first three or four days? That's what I do. My fermentation corner is about 53 right now.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Depending on the strain of yeast the low 60's is about right. I would be worried about the yeast going to sleep that low or it taking so long to get started that a bad bug could get a toe hold.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 326

you could use a lager yeast and turn your brown into a lovely bock....or move upstairs. if you could get to the high 50s you could push an ale yeast i think if you had a big starter. the ol' rubbermaid tub with water and aquarium heater might do the trick.

just throwing out some idears

на здравје!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
Depending on the strain of yeast the low 60's is about right. I would be worried about the yeast going to sleep that low or it taking so long to get started that a bad bug could get a toe hold.
I have a heating system to get mine going - starting at 52 is really hard, those yeasties just want to sleep.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson View Post
I have a heating system to get mine going - starting at 52 is really hard, those yeasties just want to sleep.
that's how i feel on cold winter mornings, too. i used to live in a house with no insulation or central heating in the mountains. the mornings were like 45 degrees. couldn't get out of bed

на здравје!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Kolsch yeast (WY2656) is about the coolest fermenting ale yeast around. But I don't think it works below ~55. If you pitch at say 60F, and wrap it really well with a sleeping bag to keep it warmer until it takes off, it might work for you. It should self sustain temps during active fermentation. You might even have to take the insulation off. With fermentation in the mid 50's, the Kolsch yeast will taste very lager like and will have few of the fruity/wine like overtones that you get in the low 60's. If you haven't tried Kolsch yeast, you shoud give it a go sometime. It's in my top 3.

52 is a tidge warm for a lager, and you may not have a means for lager conditioning (35-40 for 4-8 weeks). Or as stated above you could ferment upstairs.

Primary #1: Ice Shanty Bock #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Empty
Kegged
: Hidden Lake Nut Brown, Border Crossing Vienna
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: ??

Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

stop with the lager FUD. 52 is not warm for a lager. it is actually a very good fermentation temperature.

на здравје!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Madinaman
Recipes 

I would ferment upstairs, but the lady likes it around 75, and I work long days, and wouldn't be able to monitor temps in a swamp cooler very well. Appreciate all the feedback...

Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I routinely do ales with nottingham at 54 degrees. its super clean tasting that low. Once fermentation starts it creates its own heat.

Quick Reply