Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > ale temperature question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
je52rm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default ale temperature question

Once the main part of fermentation is complete (first 5-7 days) how important is it to maintain a good fermentation temperature (66-70 degrees for ale) after that point? Is it gonna affect the final product if after fermentation slows that temps get a bit over/under the recommended side hotter or colder?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The first few days are the most important. Afterwards, if it gets a bit over 70 or a bit below 66, it is fine. I'd rather lower than higher though.

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #3
je52rm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by libeerty View Post
The first few days are the most important. Afterwards, if it gets a bit over 70 or a bit below 66, it is fine. I'd rather lower than higher though.
Ok that's great info thanks!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 122

If it gets lower, that could cause a high FG, as the yeasties could be put to sleep. Better for temps to be flat to slightly up, if at all possible.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
If it gets lower, that could cause a high FG, as the yeasties could be put to sleep. Better for temps to be flat to slightly up, if at all possible.
Not really. He said they'd go down a "bit." If by "bit," he means a couple of degrees, then no, they are not going to go to sleep. Most ale yeasts (I don't know his strain) work well in the 60s, and the fermentation always adds a few degrees anyways for a bit of insurance.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Most of the time I would rather the temperatures be a little on the high side after fermentation completes. This helps the yeast stay active and clean up fermentation by products and attenuate the beer just a little more. An exception might be something a little sweet like a mild.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Oldskooler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Hey, this is a question I had as well. Thanks everyone for the great info.

Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long."

Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
Most of the time I would rather the temperatures be a little on the high side after fermentation completes. This helps the yeast stay active and clean up fermentation by products and attenuate the beer just a little more. An exception might be something dark and sweet like a douplebock.
Really? He is at 66-70 now. After 5 days, fermentation is likely still going on. You'd prefer him to be at ~72 after 5 days than ~64? With fermentation likely still going on, the ~64 ambient is going to be more like ~69 in the fermenter, and the ~72 ambient is going to be more like ~77 in the fermenter. After 10 days or 14 days, then yes definitely, but I'm not sure ~77 is great on day 6 and thereafter. At least in my experience..

Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by libeerty View Post
Really? He is at 66-70 now. After 5 days, fermentation is likely still going on. You'd prefer him to be at ~72 after 5 days than ~64? With fermentation likely still going on, the ~64 ambient is going to be more like ~69 in the fermenter, and the ~72 ambient is going to be more like ~77 in the fermenter. After 10 days or 14 days, then yes definitely, but I'm not sure ~77 is great on day 6 and thereafter. At least in my experience..
What I'm trying to express, albeit poorly, is two fold. First temperature fluctuation has in impact on the yeast regardless of if the change is up or down. Second whether to age the beer slightly warmer for a period of time after fermentation completes or at a lower temperature is very dependant on the situation.

You have a lot of good points. Fermentation temperature, during the exponential growth phase, is typically higher than ambient air conditions. However the exponential phase ends about the same time that the gravity of the beer stops dropping. At that point the temperature inside the fermentor will be very close to the ambient air temperature. So we are talking about rather high fermentation temperatures, but not quite as high as you have indicated.

Almost no beers will benefit from long term ageing at 72°F, but, given the choice of cooling or heating after a warm fermentation that likely produced some unwanted byproducts, I would choose a warm period for a couple of days to promote clean up (absorption of byproducts) by the yeast. However, if the beer doesn't taste to terribly green then cooling it might be the best choice.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
What I'm trying to express, albeit poorly, is two fold. First temperature fluctuation has in impact on the yeast regardless of if the change is up or down. Second whether to age the beer slightly warmer for a period of time after fermentation completes or at a lower temperature is very dependant on the situation.

You have a lot of good points. Fermentation temperature, during the exponential growth phase, is typically higher than ambient air conditions. However the exponential phase ends about the same time that the gravity of the beer stops dropping. At that point the temperature inside the fermentor will be very close to the ambient air temperature. So we are talking about rather high fermentation temperatures, but not quite as high as you have indicated.

Almost no beers will benefit from long term ageing at 72°F, but, given the choice of cooling or heating after a warm fermentation that likely produced some unwanted byproducts, I would choose a warm period for a couple of days to promote clean up (absorption of byproducts) by the yeast. However, if the beer doesn't taste to terribly green then cooling it might be the best choice.
I agree with everything you said, and generally speaking, it is good advice. I was replying specifically to the OP's situation. I'd be surprised if the gravity had already stopped dropping at 5 days.

Quick Reply