Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Ale on lees?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
plinythebadass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ale on lees?

So, you know, I'm a fan on the Unibroue beers. I dig those labels too, and the names are unique. The beer itself is fantastic with Fin du Mond being one of the finest examples of that style I've ever tasted. One thing puzzles me however...on a few of the Unibroue beers as well as on the Trader Joe's 2012 Vintage Ale (don't laugh, it's really amazing for a $4.99 corked Belgian) which Unibroue mfgrs. for them, it reads "Ale on Lees". What does this denote exactly? I know what lees actually are, but when I google the term nothing specific comes up. Does it mean there's yeast left in the bottle, is it fermented differently?? HELP!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 76

It's bottle conditioned, not filtered, so the bottle will have a layer of yeast at the bottom.

+1 on the Trader Joe's 2012 Vintage Ale. I had a bottle of 2010 and it was delish. Received a bottle of the 2012 as a gift and have been cellaring it.

"...allowing the beer to become what it is." -- Jason Yester, Trinity Brewing Co.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Lees is usually a wine making term......I means sitting on trub or yeast. In beer we tend to just day "Bottle Conditioned." They're just trying to appeal to the wine crowd by using that term.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
plinythebadass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Lees is usually a wine making term......I means sitting on trub or yeast. In beer we tend to just day "Bottle Conditioned." They're just trying to appeal to the wine crowd by using that term.
You know I had a premonition that this was in fact the answer. Thanks guys, it was quite good!

Quick Reply