Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > air lock broken during fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
wetchicken6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default air lock broken during fermentation

I was moving my 5 gallon batch of all to the freezer after day 5 of fermintation when I bumped the airlock with my leg and the 1/4 gasket fell into the plastic bucket. Right now the gasket is in the beer and I have the air lock pushed down to the bucket held firmly with tape. I know this is not a perfect seal. I am worried about oxidation, what should I do, move to a secondary or is it to soon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetchicken6 View Post
I was moving my 5 gallon batch of all to the freezer after day 5 of fermintation when I bumped the airlock with my leg and the 1/4 gasket fell into the plastic bucket. Right now the gasket is in the beer and I have the air lock pushed down to the bucket held firmly with tape. I know this is not a perfect seal. I am worried about oxidation, what should I do, move to a secondary or is it to soon
It's in an ale pail now, and the gasket fell in? If so, that's ok. duct tape or something will hold your airlock in place if you feel you need it. In a freezer, the concern I have with an airlock is that it'll suck back the liquid from the airlock when you drop the temperature.

Any particular reason you decided to drop the temperature on day 5? I'm just curious- I've never heard of that before.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
wetchicken6
Recipes 

I just bought a freezer with a temp overide to control my fermintation temp

Old 05-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
MaynardX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think your fine. The CO2 blanket on top of the beer will keep O2 from getting to it. Just make sure not to shake the bucket up too much.

Bottle: Rochfort 10 Clone, Bourbon Oak Pumpkin Ale
Keg: Kolsh, Marzen, Saison, Belgian Strong Ale, Brewskie the Elder,Pomegranate Apfelwien, Rye Dortmunder Export, English Bitter

Quick Reply