The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > AHS Imperial Stout - which yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
doctorRobert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default AHS Imperial Stout - which yeast?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=316

Im using a dry yeast, I ordered it w/ the recommended "mutons premium gold". But I also have a packet of salafe s-05, which from what I read is a very popular dry yeast.

So i was thinking of using the s-05, but obviously ahs selected mutons for a reason, but what was the reason?

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
doctorRobert
Recipes 

so nobody has used these yeast before eh?

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 08-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Adam78K
Recipes 

Depends what style you're going for more malty flavor geared toward English Stout or a American version of it. US-05 will finish more clean tasting and will give you more alcohol out of the beer. The mutons is more geared toward leaving some residual sugar for more body. So all depends what you want.

On Deck Ryed Up Kolsch

Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Cheeto
Born again N00b
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 14

English Stout = S-04

American Stout = S-05

Going cheap = Nottingham

Gambling = Munton's

Attenuation is really important for a stout, if you get to active of a yeast your brew will end up thin( little or no mouth feel)

1.072 you should be fine with S-04.
They are hinting at an English ale yeast on the website...

Old 08-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
doctorRobert
Recipes 

im leaning towards ordering some s-04 then...

Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
SCHUWEET
Recipes 

I just got this kit too and I'm going with some S-04 that I washed last week. The main reason is the Munton's was only a 6g package. Would probably need 2 or 3 of those.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
doctorRobert
Recipes 

I went out and got s-04... and after 2 days, there was no activity - I pitched the mutons and I got activity within 3 hours. Must have had some bad S-04. Maybe eventually it picked up and will help the mutons out.

But it's been fermenting nicely now for about a full week or so. Everytime I think it's about to slow down and stop, it keeps on going! I do shake it every once in a while to make sure the yeast dont get to sleepy too early. I'm going to do 1 month in primary and then bottle.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 AM   #8
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

Don't shake the fermenter once it's fermenting. You're basically just shaking CO2 out of solution, and you think that it's fermenting more because of the airlock activity. It's probably finished. Take a gravity reading.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
Don't shake the fermenter once it's fermenting. You're basically just shaking CO2 out of solution, and you think that it's fermenting more because of the airlock activity. It's probably finished. Take a gravity reading.
I dont think it's finished at all, but that's just my opinion. Shaking of the fermenter on big beers is something that, I think it was John Palmer. on a podcast, suggested to get yeast back into suspension to try to get more attenuation. I know when shaking it its just c02 being released, but what about 5-6 hours later, possibly its fermenting more. I think there is little downside here.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I'd swirl, rather than shake. Shaking will get more oxygen back into solution, which is not good at this point, but swirling the beer around in the carboy should rouse the yeast with little to no risk of oxidation.

I don't mean to come off as an ass, but whether it's done or not is not a matter of opinion. Your hydrometer will give you the facts. If you're concerned about attenuation, it would be prudent to check the gravity and make decisions about how to treat your beer based on that reading. I'd hate for the beer to be at 1.010 or so and see you swirling it trying to get greater attenuation yet.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Quick Reply