Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Aerating Imperial Stout after primary ferm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Aerating Imperial Stout after primary ferm

I'm making an Imperial Stout in the style of Dogfish's World Wide Stout, OG 1.12, target ABV ~15%, after continually feeding the yeast sugar during fermentation. These sugar additions are something that they do frequently at DFH to bump up body and ABV.

My question is, the technique calls for aerating the beer after putting it into secondary, since another starter of strong yeast (I'm using WLP099) will be pitched and needs O2 for its general health and well-being, also to eat up the next round of sugar additions it will be getting. Will this oxidize the beer and give me a wet cardboard taste? I think the method behind this madness is that this beer is so big / young that it can handle it after the primary (8 days or so) and won't suffer. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've made beer that big without the aeration in secondary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmick View Post
These sugar additions are something that they do frequently at DFH to bump up body and ABV.
Don't know why you are asking since you know so much about what they are doing. Sounds like you should know the answer to your question, before you even asked it.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmick View Post
These sugar additions are something that they do frequently at DFH to bump up body and ABV.
I would think this would bump up the abv but bring down the body.

As far as aerating/oyxgenating after primary fermentation if it was me I wouldn't do it. If you are adding extra yeast to the secondary I would make a well aerated/oygenated starter wort to build up the yeast numbers and get them ready, then decant and pitch into the secondary.

Quick Reply