Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Aerate in Boil Kettle rather than Carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
hinkensj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Aerate in Boil Kettle rather than Carboy?

I have been aerating my cooled wort in the carboy for some time now, but it is messy with the foaming, etc.

I am considering chilling my wort in the boil kettle using my immersion chiller then aerating with my aquarium pump and stone. This way there is more room for the foam to develop.

I am guessing this process would roust the hot- and cold break so I would let this settle out after aeration and before transferring to the carboys.

Any thoughts on this process?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You'll lose a good amount of the air you're pushing in with the pump while it settles.

I would just ditch the aquarium pump and move to using pure 02 (William's wand and O2 tank). I typically infuse that way with 1-2LpM for 60-90 seconds for most of my batches (did 3 minutes for my 1.130 OG barleywine). You can add 1-2 drops per gallon of fermcap into the fermenter IF it's got too little headspace. That will help with the oxygenating foam as well as during fermentation. It will settle out with the yeast, so no worries there.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply