advice on kegging Hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwarwick

Reaction score
So im on day 10 of a simple standard bavarian hef. My question is that since im not naturaply carbonating, would it be advantageous to ferment longer in my primary before keffing.

Question 2, what have you found to be best way to force carbonate in a keg (psi co2 amd duration of injecting)

I really try and leave all my beers in the primary fermenter for 2-3 weeks before racking to keg and putting on the gas.
#2 - depends on how fast you need it carbonated. I have found that 48 hours at 30 psi, then 5 more days at serving pressure (around 10psi) will give me decent carbonation in a week. But I have a 4 way manifold in which I can shut off the pressure to the other kegs to do this. If you plan on just carbing at 10psi it will take about 2 weeks to fully carbonate.

I like my hefes young, i did a 14 day grain to glass recently, and have heard of even quicker times. I force carbed, and shook the crap out of the keg, a few days at 30psi, and then turned it down to my serving pressure.

When you say 48 hours at 30 psi, are you referring to leaving the valve open for the entire 48 hr period? (And the same with 10 psi for 5 days)

Do you know what the results of letting the ferment get a longer finish wouod be? (Effects on taste)

Thanks for the intel

For me, the Hefe yeasts tend to have a significant sulphur aroma early on. I like that to dissipate a bit before drinking.
Valves are always open. The only time I would close a valve and pressure to a keg is if I am fast force carbing (30psi) another keg on the line and don't want to over carbonate the other beers.

There are tons of topics on force carbing. Search em out.......

Back