Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Adding yeast??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
pete1983
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding yeast??

I have just finished bottling my first batch of beer. I secondary fermented it and it tasted like flat beer after about 3 weeks in secondary so I bottled it.
Now this is where I think I screwed up!! My buddy gave me some carb pills it said 4 to a 12 ounce bottle so I put them in. It has been 3 weeks since bottling and I still see a small portion of the carb pills in the bottom of the bottles. How long does it take to dissolve, or should I not use carb pills?

Thanks all

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Why does your title ask about adding yeast when you mention cab pills in the posts? I'm a lttle confused.

A lot of folks hate carb tabs for that very reason since they don't necessarilly dissolve all that easily often.

I would give each bottle a got swirl, or hand flip to shake the sugar up a bit and dissolve the pill. Then if you're storing them above 70 check them in another week or 2 they should be fine then.

Typically it is rare you need to add yeast at bottling time, unless it's been about a year in secondary or it is a high grav beer. Otherwise there is plenty of yeast carried over at bottling to do the job.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Get yourself a bottling bucket and some priming sugar next time. Makes things much simpler than trying to prime each bottle with carb tabs.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
pete1983
Recipes 

Sorry for not responding I haven't had time to get on to the forum till recently. Thanks for your suggestions REVVY and ChshreCat, I was actually asking if I needed to add a little yeast before I bottled because the carb tabs didn't dissolve. It turned out to be decent for the first time beer but a little flat! The second batch was darn near perfect using the priming sugar in the bucket.

Thanks again for the help,
Pete

Quick Reply