Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Adding vanilla bean- just add in or rack to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
americaswing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Adding vanilla bean- just add in or rack to secondary?

I'm 1 week in to a vanilla porter- directions say to rack to a secondary and add my vanilla that I've been soaking in vodka.

However, I'm wondering if I can just add the vanilla straight to the primary so the yeast can keep working. I almost killed the yeast when I brewed (yey for pitching to hot and then fretting until I finally saw bubbles ) so I'm afraid it hasn't finished working. Plus, I know that the longer it sits in the primary- the 'cleaner' the brew will be.

Thoughts? To secondary or not to secondary?

Thanks from a new brewer!

Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Copbrew133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Don't go by any time lines specifically given with a recipe in regards to primary fermentation. Each batch of beer and each fermentation is its own animal meaning type of yeast, gravity of the beer, temperatures and so on will all affect the performance of the yeast in primary. I say all that to say this take hydrometer readings. It is the only way to know when it's time to rack to secondary. You could add the vanilla to primary and let it sit, however if you're going to secondary it I would wait until primary is complete (by hydrometer readings), transfer to secondary, and add the vanilla at that point and age from there. Hope that helps, good luck.

Thirsty Mutt Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-b...-along-366645/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bodi...-cheap-299101/

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
biestie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can't think of a downside to adding the bean to the primary. On the other hand, I'd ditch the bean altogether, and add vanilla extract at bottling.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
MrTheKing
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I threw vanilla beans into a porter once it wrapped up fermenting right in the primary - came out great. I think we had two beans, after 5 days we were right at the flavor profile we wanted.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
americaswing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I checked with a hydrometer yesterday and its sitting at 1.02 (don't have the OG). I'll check again tomorrow and see if is holding steady.

If its steady, in assuming I'm good to add vanilla.

Thanks for your help!

Primary: 90 shillings clone
Secondary:
Bottled: DDBC Vanilla Porter
Up next: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone, Sam Adams Winter Lager Clone, Blue Moon Clone

Quick Reply