Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Adding Syrup to Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
SeanGC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Adding Syrup to Primary

Hey guys,

So I decided to brew a dubbel on wednesday, and I've read in multiple threads that it was a good idea to add the candi syrup to the primary after a fer days (3-5). I've had success with a similar technique with my tripel (adding clear candi sugar to the primary.)

I am brewing 12 gallons, and I purchased 4 pds of candi syrup. 2 lbs went into the boil (last 10 mins), and the other 2 I saved to add later on. However, I'm not sure if I want to add 1 pd, or 2 pds, depending on how strong the chocolate/toffee notes come out.

So the question becomes, could I add 1 lb after 3 days, and another lb (if I choose) on the 5th day?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You certainly can, I don't see any problems at all. People step feed simple sugars daily for like 2 weeks for the DFH 120min clone.
http://www.homebrewchef.com/120minuteIPArecipe.html

"Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
SeanGC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I put 4 lbs of d 90 L Candi Syrup into my recipe. 2lbs in the boil (10 mins), 1 lb in 3rd day, 1 lb in 5th day. However, I thiefed today and don't really taste the chocolate/toffee/coffee notes from the syrup. Any reason?

Quick Reply