The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > adding O2 to the wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
wetchicken6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default adding O2 to the wort

After I add the yeast to the wort in the fermentor, What type of setup works the best as an erator. Can you use a stone along with a aquirium pump? How long do you do this for?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You should aerate/oxygenate before adding the yeast. You can attach a hose to an aquarium pump with a stone on the end and that will work. It's best to have a sterile filter between the pump and the stone to ensure clean air is going into your beer. The filters are only a couple dollars. With a pump, you should go at least half hour, more for bigger beers. If you are using an O2 tank, it only takes two minutes but you have to keep buying tanks.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
sjbeerman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
With a pump, you should go at least half hour, more for bigger beers. If you are using an O2 tank, it only takes two minutes but you have to keep buying tanks.
The saturation point of using air is 8 ppm O2, which is typically achieved within 5 min. Aerating longer with an aquarium pump does not increase the amount of O2 in the wort. The only way to exceed this amount is to use pure O2. The amount you aerate with pure O2 will depend on the OG. I would avoid using an across the board time for pure O2 to avoid adding to much oxygen in lower gravity beers. Personally, I routinely use pure O2 to aerate my wort with different aeration times for different starting gravities.

Primary: Belgian Dark Strong
Secondary: EMPTY
Bottled: Belgian Saison Noel, Chocolate Porter, Raspberry Wheat

Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbeerman View Post
The saturation point of using air is 8 ppm O2, which is typically achieved within 5 min. Aerating longer with an aquarium pump does not increase the amount of O2 in the wort. The only way to exceed this amount is to use pure O2. The amount you aerate with pure O2 will depend on the OG. I would avoid using an across the board time for pure O2 to avoid adding to much oxygen in lower gravity beers. Personally, I routinely use pure O2 to aerate my wort with different aeration times for different starting gravities.
Interesting. Do you have a table or chart showing ideal oxygenation times and/or ppm do based on gravity? That would be very handy.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
sjbeerman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I use a table that was provided with my O2 aeration kit, but JZs and Chris White's book on "Yeast" has the best discussion on oxygen requirements. Unfortunately I don't have the table or book on me right now.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would definitely like to see a chart relating O.G to the number of minutes of aeration (with pure 02 or even just air via aquarium pump) needed for optimum fermentation.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
So this description on Morebeer's site is incorrect? http://morebeer.com/view_product/166...eration_System

Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetchicken6 View Post
After I add the yeast to the wort in the fermentor, What type of setup works the best as an erator. Can you use a stone along with a aquirium pump? How long do you do this for?
Plenty of heated debate but this thread should answer many of your questions:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/i-c...oxygen-235663/

Old 04-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
sjbeerman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
So this description on Morebeer's site is incorrect? http://morebeer.com/view_product/166...eration_System
That info is definitely incorrect according to CWs and JZs book on "Yeast."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
Interesting. Do you have a table or chart showing ideal oxygenation times and/or ppm do based on gravity? That would be very handy.
Here is the info that came with my oxygenation kit.

"Open the valve regulator with stone submerged in the wort until the 0.5 micron bubbles can be seen (approx. 2-2.5 turns). Do not open excessively, large bubbles do not stay in solution effectively as fine."

5 gal pitched wort:

SG 1.040-1.050: 1 min
SG 1.050-1.060: 1.5 min
SG 1.060-1.070: 2 min
SG 1.070+ : 2.5-3 min + once additionally in 12-14 hours. (I believe this additional O2 should be about 1/4-1/2 of what was originally added at the beginning)

These schedules should yield 10-15 ppm dissolved O2.

I have not been doing the additional O2 at 12-14 hrs because I remember reading somewhere in BYO that according to JZ if you pitch enough yeast then this shouldn't be necessary. However, in "Yeast" he says this may be necessary. So, it seems a little conflicting to me.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
bctdi
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
That info is definitely incorrect according to CWs and JZs book on "Yeast."

Here is the info that came with my oxygenation kit.

"Open the valve regulator with stone submerged in the wort until the 0.5 micron bubbles can be seen (approx. 2-2.5 turns). Do not open excessively, large bubbles do not stay in solution effectively as fine."

5 gal pitched wort:

SG 1.040-1.050: 1 min
SG 1.050-1.060: 1.5 min
SG 1.060-1.070: 2 min
SG 1.070+ : 2.5-3 min + once additionally in 12-14 hours. (I believe this additional O2 should be about 1/4-1/2 of what was originally added at the beginning)

These schedules should yield 10-15 ppm dissolved O2.

I have not been doing the additional O2 at 12-14 hrs because I remember reading somewhere in BYO that according to JZ if you pitch enough yeast then this shouldn't be necessary. However, in "Yeast" he says this may be necessary. So, it seems a little conflicting to me.
That looks pretty good. I just got the o2 wand/ stone kit from williams, but mine is a 2 micron stone.Would you say to keep the regulator setting so that the smallest bubbles come out and use those same times that you use with your .5 micron stone?

Quick Reply