Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Adding mulling spice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
baer19d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding mulling spice

I know it has been said before that it's necessary to transfer the beer to a secondary for specialty beer additions i.e. pumpkin, oak. etc. but I still have one simple question about using a secondary, would it be necessary to transfer a spiced winter ale to a secondary in order to add some mulling spice or could I just throw it in the primary? I'm assuming that it will be since it's an addition.
Thanks, Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Spices tend to fade, so I like to add them at bottling instead of transferring to a secondary.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
baer19d
Recipes 

I'll be kegging mine so could I just add them to the keg? If so should I add the same amount that I would've added to the secondary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Spices tend to fade, so I like to add them at bottling instead of transferring to a secondary.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

That's what I do...

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Fathand
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I just added mulling spice to a Fezziwig clone and I added the spice at flame out. After tasting it I wish I would have added it earlier to allow it to boil a bit with the wort. I have a feeling if I would have done so, the spice taste would be more prevalent. Right now it is very subtle and I fear that in a month the spice taste will be completely lost/gone.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
I just added mulling spice to a Fezziwig clone and I added the spice at flame out. After tasting it I wish I would have added it earlier to allow it to boil a bit with the wort. I have a feeling if I would have done so, the spice taste would be more prevalent. Right now it is very subtle and I fear that in a month the spice taste will be completely lost/gone.
Actually, with a longer boil, you would have had the opposite. All your aromas would be lost with the boil, and the taste wouldn't be great either. I think the best spot for spices is at bottling so you can tweak it exactly how you like.

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply