HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Adding more fermentables?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
kenfury
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding more fermentables?

I was thinking about something yesterday. Yeast are hungry little critters and all they want is more sugars. Why could one not add more sugar either as invert sugar or malt extract in a water mix (80/20) in the middle of fermenting to give them more sugars to kick ones brew to a higher level? If that is the case why not feed them more over a longer time until they choke out due to the high ABV and have a drink that tastes like a low OG drink but kicks butt?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
ChessRockwell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You can do what you said, but I don't think you're going to get what you think... A drink that tastes like a low OG drink but kicks butt? It can be done, but not quite that easily. Just step feeding a regular beer with simple sugar is going to give you something really dry and you will certainly be able to taste the amount of alcohol, it isn't just magically hidden because you fed the yeast later. Maybe with a good enough recipe design, extended aging, etc. you could get what you're looking for, just do some more research.

"Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply