New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Adding maple syrup to the secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Cold Country Brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding maple syrup to the secondary

Made a brown ale and racked 1 gallon of it into a 1-gallon carboy. Then added 25oz of Maple Syrup to the secondary. I have a couple questions.

1)There should be enough yeast to eat that extra sugar right?
2)OG was 1.058, FG 1.012. I added the Maple Syrup in the secondary and it’s up to 1.072. Assuming that it ferments out how do I figure out the ABV?

Yes, I know 22oz of Maple Syrup seems like a lot. I figure in Papazian’s book he says in a 5 gallon batch you will need 1 gallon of Maple syrup to even notice the flavor, 1/5th of 1 gallon is 25oz....or is that if you are adding it to the boil?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Well, as far as gravity, you can assume that with the syrup in before fermenting your gravity would have been 1.118. (72-12 = 60, 58+60=118) Do all of your calculations with this number. This is going to be a HUGE beer.

What yeast did you use? I'm sure there are enough to eat through the syrup but I'm wondering about alcohol tolerance.

I'm really curious how this turns out for you! Also, how is that barley wine going?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Cold Country Brewery
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
Well, as far as gravity, you can assume that with the syrup in before fermenting your gravity would have been 1.118. (72-12 = 60, 58+60=118) Do all of your calculations with this number. This is going to be a HUGE beer.

What yeast did you use? I'm sure there are enough to eat through the syrup but I'm wondering about alcohol tolerance.

I'm really curious how this turns out for you! Also, how is that barley wine going?

I used the Wyeast 1968 London ESB. Do you think I'll have to add some yeast? Or do you think the Wyeast will be able to tolerate the alcohol?

I'll keep you posted on it.

The Barley Wine idea is on the back burner, I had the "itch" to mess around with some brown ale instead.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
bknifefight
Recipes 

Check the Wyeast website for info on that yeast's tolerance, I am not familiar with it. At this point it's hard to say it you have enough yeast because you transferred it to the secondary. The gravity you added with the syrup is equivalent to that of a low OG beer so adding yeast is probably a good idea. Has it started fermenting again yet? I imagine you'll get a nice krausen and everything.

I'll keep you updated on my barley wine as well. It's been in the bottles for some time now and only has a hiss when I opened the first one after about a month. I plan on trying another one in 2 or 3 months and see how it's carbing up then.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Flywheel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The high new SG reading could be a little high from an incomplete mixing of the syrup into the beer. Or maybe it really is that high.

Keg4: StarSan
Bottle: Belgian Strong Golden Ale
Secondary: 68ºF air
Primary1: Cider
Primary2: Nothing
Planned: hmmmmmm

You mean a woman of your culture and money and beauty and money and wealth and money would, would marry that imposter?

Poison for email spiders

Old 04-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Direct link to the yeast info... ABV tolerance: 9%

A very good cask conditioned ale strain, this extremely flocculant yeast produces distinctly malty beers. Attenuation levels are typically less than most other yeast strains which results in a slightly sweeter finish. Ales produced with this strain tend to be fruity, increasingly so with higher fermentation temperatures of 70-74°F (21-23° C). A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete. Bright beers are easily achieved within days without any filtration.

Origin:
Flocculation: Very High
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 64-72F, 18-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Cold Country Brewery
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
The high new SG reading could be a little high from an incomplete mixing of the syrup into the beer. Or maybe it really is that high.
I thought that too, but I didn't want it to stir it up too hard. But it's 25 oz oz of maple syrup...that's a lot of sugar.

Fermentation doesn't appear to have re-started yet. I may have to add more yeast. I'm going on vacation for a week, so I'll check the gravity when I get home.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
bknifefight
Recipes 

Does anyone have beersmith handy to see what kind of extract yield you can expect from it? I know honey is 1.035 per pound per gallon.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Maple Syrup is listed as having a potential SG of 1.030...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 04-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Cold Country Brewery
Recipes 

Okay, just tested the gravity. It has stayed the same in 1 week, none of the maple syrup has fermented out. There is a layer of yeast on the bottom, so I gently tipped it upside down a couple times to mix it up. Anything else I should do? It's sitting at about 68 degrees right now.

Quick Reply