The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Adding Fruit to a Kriek Before Pellicle Drops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Adding Fruit to a Kriek Before Pellicle Drops?

This was my first lambic, and thus obviously my first kriek. I brewed it back on 7/1/08. It's had a healthy, furry 1/2" pellicle for the better part of a year, and there's been essentially no visual change in it. Now that we're 13 months out, I'm thinking it might be time to add the cherry puree (from Oregon Puree). What do you think? I don't have to wait for the damn pellicle to drop, do I? I've heard of people's pellicles never dropping, so who knows how long I'd have to wait...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would add the puree disturbing the pellicle as little as possible. It has been in there for 13 months I am betting that pellicle is so boyant it wont drop at all as there are tiny pockets of air in that bad boy.

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 08-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Hmm, I added the fruit before the pellicle even formed (2 months after the wort hit the bugs) so no help there. How long are you planning to age on the fruit?

We racked our shares of Flanders at the 12 month mark and the pellicle was still intact. No, I wasn't going to wait because the beer was amazing and ready to be quaffed.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

well, Ohiobrewtus dropped by today on his way thru town and we took a sample to try...total badassedness. I don't think I'm gonna even worry about the fruit on this. The base lambic is too good by itself.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Glad to hear about its awesomeness.

I always read the same type of stuff on the Burgundian website about the pellicle dropping, but the brett beer I have going (16 months now), like your lambic, shows no sign of that pellicle falling (I did just move it, disturbing the pellicle, but I expect it to reform, but going to finally bottle it soon anyway).

Quick Reply