Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Adding another dose of fresh yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
obuhmyuh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding another dose of fresh yeast?

I'm currently working on a dark belgian strong right now and I'm following a "trois pistoles" recipe from a book and it walks me through a technique I'm not familiar with and I've asked my LHBS and lead brewer from Cismontane, and told me this process was unneccassary and pointless. But I don't think it'd say to do it unless it was...
It says,"Prime beer in the second stage with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling" That's the part I'm confused on.... It continues to say,"Bottle when fermentation in complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approx. 6 weeks) with: 1/2 cup corn sugar and 1/2 cup belgian clear candi sugar"... Also says to let it sit in the bottle 6 weeks untill carbonated...

Sorry for wordy post, but any light shed would be appreciated...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Is this a Szamatulski recipe?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
obuhmyuh
Recipes 

Beer was brewed on 12/30/2010 O.G. was 1.083 and on 1/13/2011 it was 1.02... It's been in the secondary ever since (8 weeks or so)

Old 04-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
obuhmyuh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
Is this a Szamatulski recipe?
it most certainly is

Old 04-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have a barleywine in primary, getting ready to transfer to 2ndary for a couple weeks plus dry hop and my directions are also to add yeast 3 days prior to bottling.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by obuhmyuh View Post
it most certainly is
Hehe, I knew it. Only they would add such weird instructions as "prime with half dextrose and half candi".

Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
obuhmyuh
Recipes 

Yeah the guys at the LHBS kinda laughed at me when I told about the sugars. They sold me the book though haha.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I assume that adding fresh yeast at bottling is to make sure it carbonates as the long secondary will drop a lot of yeast out of suspension. Sometimes these Belgian recipes call for secondary around the 32F mark which'll put the yeast to sleep and may end up with not enough to carb properly. It wouldn't hurt to add some fresh at bottling, maybe just harvest some yeast from primary and rack the beer and priming sugar onto it when it's ready to bottle.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
obuhmyuh
Recipes 

Thanks for input ChillWill. Harvesting yeast from my primary is something I would have to have done when I moved it to secondary, huh?

There's actually a side note here that says,"The belgian yeast strains are temperature sensitive. Beers fermented with them must be kept above 65*F to avoid a stuck or slow fermentation. Adding another dose of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling will ensure that the beer is fully fermented and will greatly improve carbonation."

Also says its ready to drink in 2months after it's carbonated, will peak between 6-10 months and hold for a year at cellar temp.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:02 AM   #10
azlightfighter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a similar situation. I am brewing a new Belgium clone of the 1554 and at just over two week I am at 1.032 I started at 1.054. It seems very slow to me. All the others ferment down very rapidly. I am in 68 to 70 deg. I am racking to a secondary to harvest some yeast and I am going to try to grow and pitch again in the secondary with a priming sugar and keg it. Any comments are welcome! I tasted it and its very close to the 1554 Its just like a 2.8 on the alcohol scale. I would like to at least get a buzz from it!

Quick Reply