Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Activator Pack seems to be expanding in the Fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Allergic2hops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Activator Pack seems to be expanding in the Fridge

I have an activator pack of American Ale yeast that seems to be expanding on its own in my beer fridge. I have it separated from other stuff so there has been no impact. Has anyone seen this happen before? the pack looks 1/3 full right now. Its been in my fridge 3 weeks. The other pack I have is flat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

The big problem with that is you won't be able to break the nutrient pack inside. Just use the yeast soon, make a starter if you're worried.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Allergic2hops
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
The big problem with that is you won't be able to break the nutrient pack inside. Just use the yeast soon, make a starter if you're worried.
I was thinking that also ... I just brewed and don't plan on brewing again for a little while, might have to count this one as a loss. I still have another pack and I've used the American Ale before. I'm doing smash brewing right now and bought 4 different Activators, Northwest, German, American and British. Hopefully it won't get any bigger. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Don't count this yeast pack out. According to Wyeast slight swelling of some yeast packs is normal. If I remember correctly WY1056 was one of the yeasts that will have some swelling of the pack.

Store the yeast as cold as possible without freezing.

You will definitely need to make a starter that is based on the production date of the yeast. Use a good calculator. The contents of the nutrient pack can be added to your starter wort after you pour the yeast.

Remember to sanitize your hands, the yeast package, and scissors.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Smellyglove
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Had this happen before. The GF got so worried that one day I found it packed into to plastic bags, she was afraid it would explode in the fridge.

If you are direct pitching, you can use a glass or something, a jar, whatever, pour it into that (sanitized ofc), then you'll be able to smack the nute-pack, and pour it into the same glass/jar. If you're making a starter then just smack the nutes after you've poured in the yeast.

Quick Reply