New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Accidentally Started My First Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Tolroe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Accidentally Started My First Lager

I intended on brewing my fourth ale (only been brewing for a few months), but I accidentally purchased the wrong yeast and did not realize it until after I had pitched it into the wort. I reached for an American Ale and ended up with Wyeast American Lager (2035). Without an adequate temperature control I filled a storage bin with cold water and a couple frozen juice containers. I am able to maintain 59-60f with this setup, but getting it much colder will require replacing bags of ice every other day or so. I also have no place to lager at the proper temperatures. So far there has not been much activity(~24 hrs in). What are my options? Can I re-rack and add an ale yeast with limited off flavors? Should I ice this batch every day to drop it to 50f and see what happens?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 11

ice it and wait.

if you warm it up, that lager yeast will still have a major head start over fresh ale yeast and you're likely to end up with some weird flavors from fermenting the lager yeast at higher temps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply