Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Acceptable level of activity in secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
horrorclause
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Acceptable level of activity in secondary?

I just racked 5 gallons on top of 2.5lbs of blackberries in my secondary. I know I got some yeast in therefrom the primary, but my airlock hasn't been all too active. This is only my second batch so I'm not sure what I should be looking for activity wise.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

While you have less yeast in there, I would expect that there should have been a secondary fermentation as the yeast attacks the sugar in the blackberries. Are they whole blackberries or dud you crush them some so that they are opened up? If whole, then I guess the yeast really cannot get to the sugars inside them.

Member of the Metro South Homebrew League (Mash-Holes) - Weymouth, MA

Primary - Annie's Atomic Amber, Pumpkin Ale
Secondary - Empty
Kegged - Dortmunder Export
Bottled - California Common (2nd place, 2014 OSHC).

Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I would think that the activity would be low initially until the small amount of yeast has multiplied enough. Plus, the amount of sugars in the blackberries may be low enough to defy a vigorous fermentation. Also, what temp is the secondary at currently?

Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Never worry about airlock activity, it means NOTHING. All that matters is fermentation, NOT whether or not your airlock bubbles or how vigorously it does. All it is is a vent, and a cheap one at that, it's not a gauge.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
horrorclause
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdauria
While you have less yeast in there, I would expect that there should have been a secondary fermentation as the yeast attacks the sugar in the blackberries. Are they whole blackberries or dud you crush them some so that they are opened up? If whole, then I guess the yeast really cannot get to the sugars inside them.
I mashed them before racking on top.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
horrorclause
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66
I would think that the activity would be low initially until the small amount of yeast has multiplied enough. Plus, the amount of sugars in the blackberries may be low enough to defy a vigorous fermentation. Also, what temp is the secondary at currently?
That's what I thought, but I still expected to see some sort of activity. It's currently at 72 F.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
horrorclause
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Never worry about airlock activity, it means NOTHING. All that matters is fermentation, NOT whether or not your airlock bubbles or how vigorously it does. All it is is a vent, and a cheap one at that, it's not a gauge.
I was just worried and not sure what to expect.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 985 Posts

Perspective: even if every gram of sugar in 2.5 pounds of blackberries was available to the yeast, that would still only constitute a bit over 3 ounces of sugars.

I just had eight pounds of sugars voraciously consumed by yeast in under four days. Carboy looked like a washing machine. Three ounces would barely catch the yeasts' interest - and not for long

Cheers!

Quick Reply