Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > AC going to be shut off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
senorswiss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default AC going to be shut off

I've done some searching, but couldn't find quite what I'm looking for.

So my landlord is resurfacing our patio, which is where the heat pumps are. We will be losing the AC for several days very soon (probably this weekend, while I will be out of town). Temps are forecast to be around 90 F. I've currently got 15 gallons of beer in my brew closet.

One of these I will get kegged and in the keezer before hand, but the other two are not ready.

My extra pale ale has been in primary for over two weeks, and my Scottish 80 has been in primary + secondary for over a month, now. Since the main fermentation is long over on these beers, I'm not sure how much I should worry about the imminent temperature rise. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

im not expert so get a second opinion. but since primary fermentation is over controlling temps are not that important anymore.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
im not expert so get a second opinion. but since primary fermentation is over controlling temps are not that important anymore.
This is my impression as well.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Heat can damage your beer regardless of the stage, but a couple days at 90F won't be a big problem. If you have the extra cornies and space in the kegger, you would be better off kegging early and cooling them down. The kegger should be okay for a couple days without power. It will warm up some, but not too much.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you have a bathroom you can keep them in, I've found that if you close the bathroom door and turn the fan on then the fan draws the warmest air out from the top and draws cooler air in from the floor through the crack under the door. You can drop 10 degrees that way.

Could also just get some tubs and use water and frozen water bottles to keep 'em cool.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 06-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
senorswiss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input, guys. The keezer will not lose power, but I don't have room in there for the other two beers.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
senorswiss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
If you have a bathroom you can keep them in, I've found that if you close the bathroom door and turn the fan on then the fan draws the warmest air out from the top and draws cooler air in from the floor through the crack under the door. You can drop 10 degrees that way.

Could also just get some tubs and use water and frozen water bottles to keep 'em cool.
Interesting idea about the bathroom, but it's on the top floor, which gets much warmer than the lower level with no AC. I have the beers in a water bath, but I'll be out of town so can't swap frozen bottles.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
Bret86944
Recipes 

Fill up your bathtub with water and put them in it. The evaporative effect of the water will keep them a little bit cooler. Don't know how much cooler though. Also might not work since your bathroom is going to be warmer than your downstairs... just a thought though.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You will be fine. The initial fermentation is over. Think about it this way, your bottled beer is going to get hit with the heatwave as well. They taste fine, no? Your fermenting beer is just in a larger bottle right now.

It's not an ideal situation, but it shouldn't hurt it too much. Stick it in the bathtub full of water with a fan on it if you want to be extra safe.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
senorswiss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I don't have any bottled beer, and never have (homebrew, I mean)...started straight with kegging. I thought it was pretty bad for bottled beer to get too hot (say trunk of your car), but I'm glad to hear most people think it's not going to be too bad. It certainly won't be getting as hot as a car trunk anyway. I'm guessing maybe in the 80's, but no idea, really.

Quick Reply