Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > ABV for an American Amber Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
husker_jay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ABV for an American Amber Ale

I just brewed my first batch of beer and I must say that I can see how this hobby can become an addiction. I think my fermentation is now complete as I have check the SG on 3 days and all the readings were at 1.016.

The OG was 1.05 and if my calculations are correct, that should put me at an ABV of 4.5%. My question is, does that seem right for an American Amber Ale? With commercial light beer being at 4.2%, my ABV seems a little low at 4.5%.

Another question is, will my beer tast too sweet if the ABV is not at 5% or more?

By the way, I can't wait to work my way through this hobby. I am so excited about all the equipment a person can buy. From making an all grain brew to kegging the beer, this is just awesome. I only have the starter kit for now, but a guy can dream right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What kind of yeast did you use? That is less than 70% attenuation, so I would think that fermentation is not completely done yet.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
husker_jay
Recipes 

Parker, thanks for the reply

I used Safale US-05 Ale Yeast. I did not even know what attenuation was until I just looked it up. So a 68% attenuation probably means my brew is not yet done. I am looking for an attenuation of equal to or greater than 72%, is that right?

Anyway, at this point what should do? Re-pitch some yeast or just let it sit for awhile and then bottle it? Not sure what to do. If it is done fermenting and I bottle the beer, will it taste way too sweet or will it be okay?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Three days is way to soon to think of doing anything else. I like 05 but usually it takes a good week or two to reach FG. My last pale ale dropped 3 points during it's second week in the primary. So....no need to repitch. Let it sit for at least 3 weeks before you think of bottling...I know it's hard (it was for me at least the first time)...but you'll thank yourself for it....

Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
husker_jay
Recipes 

Hammy, thanks for the reply. My beer has actually been in the primary for 9 days. The last 3 days the gravity readings were all 1.016. I just assumed it was done fermenting, but the attenuation is on 68%. I will let it sit for another week or so and take a FG reading to see where I am at.

By the way, love the Hamm's Beer avatar.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

BTW, the commercial "light" beers use a ton of adjuncts to get that high of alcohol with so little mouthfeel or flavor. Just because you're not over 5% certainly does not mean your beer will be sweet.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
husker_jay
Recipes 

Scimmia, thanks for the information. I was worried the beer might be too sweet if it did not reach 5%. I'm sure everything will be just fine, but as a first timer I can't help but stare at the primary all evening and wonder what is going on in there.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker_jay View Post
Parker, thanks for the reply

I used Safale US-05 Ale Yeast. I did not even know what attenuation was until I just looked it up. So a 68% attenuation probably means my brew is not yet done. I am looking for an attenuation of equal to or greater than 72%, is that right?

Anyway, at this point what should do? Re-pitch some yeast or just let it sit for awhile and then bottle it? Not sure what to do. If it is done fermenting and I bottle the beer, will it taste way too sweet or will it be okay?
I just did an AAA the other day with US-05. It went from 1.056 to 1.016.

Did you do an extract batch?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
husker_jay
Recipes 

Yes, it was an extract batch. The temperature in my basement is at 65F. Perhaps that is too cold, but I thought that was right around the temp I needed to be at.

I am still being patient though. I have not check the SG since my last reading on November 3rd. Hopefully things will be alright. If not, I can still drink it and start a new batch.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Considering it's an extract you probably won't get much more attenuation. Did you temp adjust when you first took your gravity? If not you could actually add a few thousands and maybe your OG was really a little higher.

Your beer will be 100% fine.

Quick Reply