Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 60F or 67F (need 65F)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalgayer View Post
I think I was a little worried about fermentation STARTING at 60F I didnt know if that was warm enough to get it going...
I would pitch the yeast when the wort is a about 66-68F then place the fermenter in 60F location. The yeast will have a warmer environment to start then it will cool down a bit for the bulk of fermentation. After the krausen falls I would move it to the warmer spot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
PinkyOFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
I would pitch the yeast when the wort is a about 66-68F then place the fermenter in 60F location. The yeast will have a warmer environment to start then it will cool down a bit for the bulk of fermentation. After the krausen falls I would move it to the warmer spot.
You'll make better beer by starting low (60F) & let it rise after a week or so. OP is using 1056 and should be making a starter. The yeast are all happy about getting going at that point. You don't want to tease them with 68F & then shock them by dropping the temp. Or worse yet, stall the fermentation. That's my experience anyway.....

Old 03-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
2bluewagons
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyOFloyd View Post
You'll make better beer by starting low (60F) & let it rise after a week or so. OP is using 1056 and should be making a starter. The yeast are all happy about getting going at that point. You don't want to tease them with 68F & then shock them by dropping the temp. Or worse yet, stall the fermentation. That's my experience anyway.....
+1 on this. Pitch enough yeast via a proper starter and that 68 deg "optimum" temperature is less of a concern. I've fermented 1056 at 60 throughout fermentation with no problems. The temp ramp at the end is always a good idea, especially for an IPA that should be dry.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #14
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyOFloyd View Post
Pitching a liter or so of 68F yeast in 5 gal of 60F wort could result in yeast shock. Placing 5 gal of wort @ 68F in 60F space will not. It will cool gradually.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
PinkyOFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
Pitching a liter or so of 68F yeast in 5 gal of 60F wort could result in yeast shock. Placing 5 gal of wort @ 68F in 60F space will not. It will cool gradually.
HUH? You're kidding right?? 1) Cool wort to 60F 2) Decant yeast starter (chilled in fridge) & stabilize at 60F 3) Add a little 60F wort to 60F yeast 4) Swirl to mix well 5) Pitch & ferment @ 60F raising temp to 68F at the end of the fermentation. YMMV!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
jalgayer
Recipes 

Update on this.

I went with the 60F basement... The fermentation took a little longer to start (20 hours) than my others where I put into the 67F area which can take 4-6 hours

Also, the fermentation was MUCH more mellow. Solid kraussen and bubbling. Good churning inside. And this was with nottingham which tends I think to be a quick fermenter.

After 3 days I moved it to the 67F closet and the next morning it was going bonkers and was at 70F inside the carboy. And the blow off tube was lucky it was there.

I really moved it more as an experiment to note the difference. I know I could have waited till the fermentation slowed to move it but I wanted (as a newbie) to SEE the difference ... I dont think.... from what I have read that it will drastically change the beer... in fact the recipe says to ferment at 70F.

Very interesting (to me)

thanks all

Regards,
Jason

BOTTLED / DRINKING
Mad-Elf Inspiration, Graff

SECONDARY
Flander's Sour Red {1 Year Old on July 28, 2011}

PRIMARY
Vanilla-Almond Pumpkin Ale, Surly Furious, Triple Karmelite Clone

ON DECK
Double White

Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #17
Ooompa Loompa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Keep in mind as well that although your basement is 60* the activity within the fermenting beer probably meant it was around 63 or 64.....which is PERFECT.

Drinking: Super Shpadoinkle Blonde Ale

Quick Reply