The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 6 Weeks and still no carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
reed1911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you got a hiss and the beer has some bubbles to it then it seems like it did carbonate. That seems like the case. You could have bad seals, you also may have simply not added enough sugar to properly carb the beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
If you got a hiss and the beer has some bubbles to it then it seems like it did carbonate. That seems like the case. You could have bad seals, you also may have simply not added enough sugar to properly carb the beer.
I would have to rule out bad seals since I used some of them on my last batch and had no problems. As for quantity, the TastyBrew calculator called for 4.3 oz so I should have been fine there.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
grainbill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

could be the yeast is almost non existent for some reason.....

Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
boysbrew2012
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

I would only do recommended carb drops as I did 3 in a 22oz and the bottles turned into grenades so be careful....If that were me...I'd go drastic empty the beer out into a bucket resanitize bottles and apply diff caps and add 5 oz of boiled corn sugar swirl it around in the bucket ....if you really think it could be a yeast issue then add dry yeast to the bucket let it sit for a week and reapply the corn sugar before bottling again.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysbrew2012 View Post
I would only do recommended carb drops as I did 3 in a 22oz and the bottles turned into grenades so be careful....If that were me...I'd go drastic empty the beer out into a bucket resanitize bottles and apply diff caps and add 5 oz of boiled corn sugar swirl it around in the bucket ....if you really think it could be a yeast issue then add dry yeast to the bucket let it sit for a week and reapply the corn sugar before bottling again.
I'm going to try the drops in one as a test. I can't imagine how it could be the yeast. It had a very active fermentation.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 278

if everything is as described, unevenly distributed priming sugar is the only answer i can think of.

i like racking to the BB with 1/2" tubing because it tends to mix things up a little better.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
if everything is as described, unevenly distributed priming sugar is the only answer i can think of.

i like racking to the BB with 1/2" tubing because it tends to mix things up a little better.
I always put the solution in the BB first then using 1/2" tubing I rack into the bucket creating a whirlpool effect.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update: I had moved a few bottles up to my bedroom closet which gets a bit warm to see if the increased temperature would do anything. Lo and behold when opened one over the weekend I got a huge hiss. I poured it into a glass and it had a nice head. So I went and moved all of the bottles upstairs.

So it looks like it was a temperature issue after all.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGreen View Post
I would have to rule out bad seals since I used some of them on my last batch and had no problems. As for quantity, the TastyBrew calculator called for 4.3 oz so I should have been fine there.
Congrats on perhaps finding the issue. I just bolded the above because it caught my eye. Do you mean to say you are re-using caps from a previous batch?

So many recipes...

Fermenter:
Bottles: ESB, Bee Cave Bavarian Hef, Nick Danger Porter, Yoop's Hoppy Amber, Conan/Mosaic Session IPA

Old 08-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty_Dog View Post
Congrats on perhaps finding the issue. I just bolded the above because it caught my eye. Do you mean to say you are re-using caps from a previous batch?
Not reusing. I bought a gross of them I've used them on more than one batch. If it was a defective lot I would have noticed it on previous batches as well.

Quick Reply