Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 6 gallon secondary ok ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
mill3558
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 6 gallon secondary ok ?

I received a carboy from a friend since I recently began brewing. The instructions recommend 2 stage fermentation. Will the extra gallon of headspace be a problem in regards to oxidizing the beer? I plan to keep it in there for 2 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

It should not be an issue. Assuming you don't keep in primary too long, there will be some yeast activity in secondary to produce some C02.

Saying that, many on these forums and many brewing pros, don't see a need at all for a secondary. With modern day yeast, having the beer sit on the yeast bed for a period of time will not harm the beer at all. And these experts are more concerned about oxidation with the transferring of it. What type of beer are you making?

Member of the Metro South Homebrew League (Mash-Holes) - Weymouth, MA

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Pumpkin Ale
Kegged - Amber Waves of Grain
Bottled - California Common (2nd place, 2014 OSHC).

Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why don't you primary in the 6 and secondary in the 5?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
Saying that, many on these forums and many brewing pros, don't see a need at all for a secondary. these people are more concerned about oxidation with the transferring of it. What type of beer are you making?
Skip secondary. adds an unecessary extra point for possible contamination, oxidation and makes you clean another carboy. unless you have a sanitizaion problem or bad practices, you can let your beer sit in primary for months easily. My coworker let his kolsh sit in primary for a year and said it was fine. Thats probably pushing it though (and a waste of time you could spend drinking the beer already made)

Make more beer and keep both fermenters full!

again. skip secondary and if you want to, cold crash your beer in primary which will have the effect of a 2ndary
I just got a Mr Beer kit and want to brew a Double Imperial Blueberry Heffy Witesit....we have no air conditioning and live next to the sun...do you think I can logger and bottle this in time for a party I will be having next week?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #5
mill3558
Recipes 

I have it in a bucket right now. Like I said, I'm new to this and didn't know possible oxidation that may occur in a larger carboy. I'm making a Midwests Superior Strong Ale. 6.7% is the goal. They just recommend 2 stage so that's why I am asking. Thanks for the replies

Quick Reply