Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 6 AM and it just dawned on me...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Tkelly32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 6 AM and it just dawned on me...

I did not shake the carboy to aerate before pitching the yeast, I know I shouldn't worry about this but such is life. I pitched about 4 hours ago and haven't seen anything yet, I must sleep now. I did pour the wort from a sanitized juice jug from the kettle to a funnel into the carboy, and finished by pouring directly from the kettle. So I must have had a bit of aeration by doing that and also moved it a bit making it slosh right after pitching the yeast which I swirled with a sterile spoon before pitching as well. All Good right? I hope.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 695 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If its an average gravity beer, that might be enough but more O2 is always good. It's definitely not too late to shake it up and introduce more O2. Cheers!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
JacobS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

^ agreed. you can aerate any time during the first ~12hrs though obviously right before adding yeast is best.

I have forgooten this too after a long brewday, but the beer still turned out fine

In Secondary:Old Croaker Imperial Stout

Long Aging: Old Bruin, Flanders Red Ale, Flanders Pale Ale, Wheat'n'Peach, TC- Aged Amber, TC-Aged Pale Wheat, pSaison Historiq, Black Bretty, Flanders Red Rye

On Tap: TC-Red Headed Stepchild, TC-Saison v4, TC-Misty Moorings,

Bottled: Thunderhead Imperial Stout, TC-Three Weissmen

http://brewtoadchateau.blogspot.com

Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Tkelly32
Recipes 

Hmm, well it is an average gravity beer 1.050 og but as I went to go shake given your statements that shaking wouldn't hurt in the first 12 hours or so I noticed that the blowoff tube was already bubbling within 4 hours of pitching so I did not want to tinker with it. I think the pour may have done the trick, I am crossing my fingers anyways. I will hopefully be posting a nice krausen pic soon.

Quick Reply