HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 6.5 gallon carboys for secondary w/ 5 gal. batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
gubby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 6.5 gallon carboys for secondary w/ 5 gal. batches

Have you guys ever had problems with oxidation by using a 6.5 gal. carboy for secondary with 5-5.5 gal batches? Places I've read seem to warn against it, but I would like to get feedback from any of you who have done this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I have never done it but I would imagine it would give you some oxidation. If you have the capability you could always purge the head space with CO2.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #3
jgbrown
Recipes 

I think people are super critical over oxidation. As long as you are not shaking the carboy or aging for extended periods of time, you won't even notice.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Headspace is generally not a huge concern when bulk aging beer (mostly due to continued fermentation and off-gassing). Unless you plan on conditioning your beer for longer than 6-9 weeks, the bigger carboy is fine.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
shek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
I think people are super critical over oxidation. As long as you are not shaking the carboy or aging for extended periods of time, you won't even notice.
Any idea on just using an HDPE bucket for a secondary? I'd guess you could go a month or two without worrying, but I wonder if anyone actually knows the permiability of HDPE or has a handle on how long you can leave something in HDPE before worrying about oxidation.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
jgbrown
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shek View Post
Any idea on just using an HDPE bucket for a secondary? I'd guess you could go a month or two without worrying, but I wonder if anyone actually knows the permiability of HDPE or has a handle on how long you can leave something in HDPE before worrying about oxidation.
I hate using glass because I hate cleaning it. The only thing I use glass for is apelfein because I dont wanna sacrifice a bucket for it and it remains in there for months. I generally don't let beer sit around in a fermenter for longer than 2 months because I like to drink it. I have never noticed any problems. Sorry I can't really help you.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Falcor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm moving from 2.5 gallon to 5 gallon batches for my next brew, and I plan on getting the 6.5 gallon carboy. I'm not worried about oxidation at all, like yuri said the beer will let off more co2 in secondary to blanket the beer. Also I've seen plenty of 5.5 gallon recipes so in that case a 5 gallon carboy wouldn't quite cut it.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Also I've seen plenty of 5.5 gallon recipes so in that case a 5 gallon carboy wouldn't quite cut it.
Yes, it will. There won't be much room, but it will fit.

As for the OP, the less headroom, the longer you can leave it in there. I would just adjust your times accordingly.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=dkershner;1625882]Yes, it will. There won't be much room, but it will fit.QUOTE]

+1. I put 5.5g of APA in a 5g carboy, right up to the neck! I think the 5g mark is just above the shoulder of the bottle.

I'm with those who think oxidation is much ado. I once bulk aged 2.5g of pumpkin ale in a 5g carboy for about 6 weeks with no ill effects.

Quick Reply