Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is 58-60F too cool for Notty?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I've used Notty at 57 degrees- worked great!

A tip with yeast- instead of pitching warm and lowering the temperature, try the reverse. Yeast don't like being cooled, but they LOVE being warmed. What I would do is chill the wort to 55 degrees, pitch the yeast, and then let the beer warm up to 59-60 degrees. It really gets the yeast going, and it makes a super clean beer. It is much better than the reverse- pitching too warm and then cooling the beer.
+1.

I'm letting a Notty batch finish up (now in its 3rd week) at 65*F and will bottle in two days. Pitched it at 65*F. For the first week, I ran it at 55*F and had a very active fermentation, vigorous enough that I was concerned for about a day that I might see a blowout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I've used Notty at 57 degrees- worked great!

I would have no qualms about kegging this beer when clear. Notty works well, and then drops like a rock in just a few days, leaving a clear beer. I package when clear, usually by day 10, for many of my ales. Some roasty flavors may need some time to meld, but you can leave the keg at room temperature for a week or to before placing it in the kegerator and carbing it up.
Thanks for the tip. I checked this beer today and it is at 1.010 on day seven and there has been no air lock activity in at least three days. Notty does indeed get after it! This is on a beer which has been no higher than 64F through that time as well. The gravity sample tasted very roasty and was a little 'sharp' still, but was quite tasty and close to clear. It is to be a vanilla-bourbon porter and thus I have had a vanilla bean split, scraped, and cut into sections soaking in 14 ounces of Maker's Mark since Monday. I will add this to the keg before adding the beer. My original goal was to have this ready by the Super Bowl, but y'all have about talked me into letting it go a full 10 days before kegging, or as Yooper sugested I may transfer it and wait to carb for a few days. Thanks to all.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply