Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 5 weeks in the primary, still has a "green apple" smell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
RIT_Warrior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 5 weeks in the primary, still has a "green apple" smell

So I'm making an English ESB, using Safbrew S-33 yeast. Everything so far has gone well, but it has been in the primary for 5 weeks and it still has a rather strong "green apple" smell, which I think means it has Acetaldehyde and the beer still needs time to condition.

I'm willing to wait, but I'm getting worried about the amount of time it is spending in the primary. Should I transfer to secondary and wait it out there? Should I bottle and age it out in the bottles? Or should I just leave it in the primary until I don't smell the green apple anymore?

I did leave my lid on loose for this beer instead of tightening it all the way down, at least for the first couple of weeks. I did this because I heard it aids in removing CO2 during fermentation. I didn't think it would be a problem because I had heard of the CO2 "blanket" that protects the beer from the oxygen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You just need to get it into the bottles, so it can carb and bottle condition.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3732 Times on 2295 Posts
Likes Given: 3231

I've dealt with this twice. Once, I had to dump the batch. I bottled and it was still nasty a month later. Dumpola. Maybe it would have recovered, but I'm not getting any younger so I'm not waiting.

Second time was a barleywine. I think it has finally, after 2 years, lost most of that green apple.

What I would do if I had this happen again is grow a big yeast starter, then add it to the beer, along with a pound of DME. Acetaldehyde is an intermediate alcohol that should get cleaned up by the yeast. No idea why this doesn't happen sometimes, but I'm throwing more good yeast at it next time.

Revvy might be right, don't want to argue there, but in my experience bottle conditioning didn't help (much).

Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
RIT_Warrior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alright, I have an update. I didn't mention this in the original post, but there are actually 2 batches that are green applefied. One is the ESB, the other is an Arrogant Bastard clone. I've given them a few weeks more in the fermenter to see if they would clean up (they didn't). I bottled up the Arrogant Bastard like I normally would, and tonight I'm going to transfer the ESB and give it a pound of DME and some S-04 yeast. I'll follow up and let everyone know what worked and what didn't. Should be enlightening, even if nothing works.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
RenoDean
Recipes 

Isn't green apple caused by high fermentation temps and can't really be "aged" out.

Quick Reply