Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 5 months... Still fermenting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
tdawg183
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Makes sense! I'll check the gravity pronto.

As for pressure fluctuations, just so I can understand this better... Wouldn't the effect go both ways? I.e. barometric pressure drops then gas comes from the carboy and out of the airlock; barometric pressure increases then the opposite occurs or at the very least stops/slows. The latter is not occurring. It's just a steady output of bubbles.

I got stax, that's just how it is.

-birdman

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1571 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 2818

I would keg it. 5 months says gusher to me.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1000 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Tdawg, is this beer sitting in a secondary or is it still in the primary on the cake?
Have you tasted it?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
tdawg183
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Tdawg, is this beer sitting in a secondary or is it still in the primary on the cake?
Have you tasted it?
It's currently in the secondary. However, there seems to be a pretty decent amount of trub at the bottom.

I did get a chance to check the gravity yesterday and it was sitting somewhere between 1.010 and 1.012... It was very difficult to tell because even the sample I pulled had bubbles rising to the surface which appeared to make it read a little higher (i.e. the 1.012 reading).

Yes, I tasted it as well and I'm dreading that this will be a batch I'm dumping. It's not sweet at all and tasted a little off. I've never been that great at depicting flavor prior to carbing and chilling. I may track racking again to another carboy and just give it some time alone (>1yr).

-birdman

Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
ChadMcRad
Recipes 

I had this happen to me a few months ago. I read every post thinking that there was no way i had an infection...i just swallowed my pride and ended up dumping all 10 gallons of it. I hate to say it but i think you may be better off just starting over. I did the whole "i think i can just give it some time." Which turned out to be a waste of time.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1571 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 2818

You can keg a batch with gusher. you just want to sanitize real good after it kicks.

Bottling is an impossibility, kegging has some leeway pressure wise and as long as you pull one every so often it will not get overcarbed.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

If the gravity is stable and ~1.011 (good middle ground), it's probably not infected. 5 months would give those bugs plenty of time to chew threw the sugars that sacch can't and create some noticeable funk. To be sure, you can double check in another week or two to see if it's dropping gravity, but my guess is that you're fine to package. My guess is that if there is an off flavor (a lot of those are hard to detect in an uncarbed, warm, flat beer), it would be something like wet cardboard (oxidation from too much headspace in secondary), stale/old beer due to lengthy secondary, or excessive yeastiness due to sitting on a cake for too long. My vote is for ensuring your FG is stable in another week and packaging this beer. Pit the bottles in a a closed rubbermaid box or cooler in case the pop. In a month, try a bottle, if it's excessively foamy of funny tasting, reconsider tossing the batch. Just my $.02, but I'd be willing to bet 100 times that amount that it isn't infected.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
People Like This 
Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #18
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1000 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
If the gravity is stable and ~1.011 (good middle ground), it's probably not infected. 5 months would give those bugs plenty of time to chew threw the sugars that sacch can't and create some noticeable funk. To be sure, you can double check in another week or two to see if it's dropping gravity, but my guess is that you're fine to package. My guess is that if there is an off flavor (a lot of those are hard to detect in an uncarbed, warm, flat beer), it would be something like wet cardboard (oxidation from too much headspace in secondary), stale/old beer due to lengthy secondary, or excessive yeastiness due to sitting on a cake for too long. My vote is for ensuring your FG is stable in another week and packaging this beer. Pit the bottles in a a closed rubbermaid box or cooler in case the pop. In a month, try a bottle, if it's excessively foamy of funny tasting, reconsider tossing the batch. Just my $.02, but I'd be willing to bet 100 times that amount that it isn't infected.
^This^

Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #19
tdawg183
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77
I think that this is the best line of action too. I've marked the gravity at 1.010-1.012 and will continue to monitor for the next week or 2 max. At that point if the reading is stable I'll bottle and keep in a safe location. Considering the minimum effort it takes to bottle at this point there's nothing loss except my time and some bottle caps.

-birdman

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 

Quick Reply